Author Topic: Affenrucken Single Quarters  (Read 15044 times)

Offline Gregg

• Oranjemunder
Re: Affenrucken Single Quarters
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »
Georg

I really must dig out my photos and slides and have them scanned. Don't know when tho'.

Names I can remember that stayed at Affenrucken when I lived there in '76:

Derek Cochrane
Dave Wiley
Phillip Allan
Jim Reid (Monday to Friday only, spent weekends with his wife in Oranjemund... Kotie?)
can't remember who else at the moment.

As to telling all, well... some (read that as most) of what I remember was, erm... irregular to say the least! Trouble with Security a couple of times, hehe.
Oranjemund from 1976 to 2004

Offline Malcolm Bertoni

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:54 AM »
Hi George

Good to hear that you were also at the best place on the southern Namibian coast and in the mining area. 

Also good to know that you gave security a hard time.  I think they must have had an Affenrucken black list as long as your arm.  23_11_61

Great days.

Malcolm (Affenrucken 1968-1974)

Offline georgswa (Georg Ruf)

• Georg Ruf known as George 3 Plt Electric
  • Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
  • Mai 1973- Nov 1979, Players, Camera Club
    • My Homepage
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
I stayed in town, not Affenrücken
Started in 1 Plnt as electrician when sometimes i had work to do in Affenrücken
Ben would always give me a treat......

Regards Georg Ruf Stuttgart Germany
My video channels:
http://www.livevideo.com/Georgswa 
http://georgswa.ning.com/
My Homepages
http://www.dersofaladen.de/home/
http://www.dersofaladen.de/georg/html/home2.html
Win Live Mess:........ ageorgruf@aol.com
Liv

Offline Carl Zeelie

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Hi Gregg,

Glad to see you finally cut your hair!!. Last we spoke I think you worked in R7D @ 4Plant?
Carl

Offline Gregg

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »

Hi Carl

Elsewhere I posted that your name rang some bells in my memory. Arrrh age what it does to one..... Thought I knew you!

How are you? And where are you these days?

Offline Gregg

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »

Carl

As to the hair, well after 2 run-ins with the General Manager (Richards I think? One of the run-ins was in the Little Theatre. Ha! Sort of apt that!) And been hauled across the carpet by the Met Manager, Div Superintendent et al. I finally gave in... But only after a suitable waiting period hehe. Must say I still think it was a coward's way out even if I was getting tired of carrying all that weight around on my head.

Offline Carl Zeelie

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »
Hi Gregg,
Retired in Durbanville.......Well thank you, but a bit boredhowever. Looking for something to keep me busy with!

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
Sitting with my dad, Jock Alexander, going through the topic.... he was just wondering if

"I still have some photos of that crazy dog.  He WAS pretty smart and used to catch rides all over the place.  He often used to disappear for days on end and then show up all scrawny and generally a mess.  I believe that he was put down soon after Ben in 76 or 77."

The dog was put down, or was it perhaps adopted by the chef at Uubvley, one Nick Buchan?

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline georgswa (Georg Ruf)

• Georg Ruf known as George 3 Plt Electric
  • Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
  • Mai 1973- Nov 1979, Players, Camera Club
    • My Homepage
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
I knew that dog and also gave him rides.....
Regards Georg Ruf Stuttgart Germany
My video channels:
http://www.livevideo.com/Georgswa 
http://georgswa.ning.com/
My Homepages
http://www.dersofaladen.de/home/
http://www.dersofaladen.de/georg/html/home2.html
Win Live Mess:........ ageorgruf@aol.com
Liv

Offline Alfred Boehme

• Oranjemunder
  • 1966 and counting
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
Malcolm
Thank you for all the names you put to many faces in your book and all the photo's we whent through in my collection. It's great that you could get back to Oranjemund and to spend your last evening with us, your memories and stories will always be remebered

Alfred, Lientjie and Sinead

woo_hoo   thnx   you rock

Have a safe trip back to Aus    bye1 bye1

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
Was he not the  black labrador cross ..  he  had a few names ..  dingo ,, cane and coke ,,  and other names
( his favourite drink  cane and coke . yup a dog that drank )  he used to  part of the  Belelie family till   Mrs Belelie died .. he then   left home, became a wanderer . ( a heartbroken dog ? indeed  I think so  as was Mr Belelie  ,   a sad man struggling  through life  without his  soulpartner )   Dingo / cane and coke was  when I started my apprenticeship  in 73  very close to the tech ... used to wander in  in the morning , demand his  coffee  black and sweet  and  bum snacks off us ... hang around the tech , knowing that at some time or other  the bakkie would  go out on an errand .. that was his joy .. on the back   ears flapping in the wind .. as  said he  wandered the entire mine..  going wherever his whims took him ..   sundays were his favourite day .. he would wander around the town , see a bakkie being packed  for the beach .. hop  on .. wander from beach  hut to beach hut ..  bumming  braai and booze ..  I recall the one day he  joined us at the beach ..  spent the whole day with this bunch of wild appies .. when Athol  dropped us off at the single quarters ..  he then tagged along with  me ..  me drunk  him drunk .. I was walking  home  and he knew  it was  en route  past Belelie  home  which he would visit  every so now and again .. so there was me  .. doing this  drunk swaggering walk .. and the dog hanging onto my jersey sleeve also walking ever so  strangely ..  got  to Belelie home  let go  and  jumped over the gate to do a visit ..
He  used to go  to the movies as well .. was always  let in ..  quite a character of a hound ..   looking back   I suppose  it was wrong to feed him booze  but he demanded it ..  other time i remember . he arrived at  Cora's cafe  with a huge gash  on his  face ... Oh boy did he play that one ..  he  stood up  front paws on the counter and turned his face  so that Cora could see the gash ....  looking ever so sorry .. his reward  a nice juicy pie ...  I suppose we could  include him in the  list of characters of oranjemund hey ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Malcolm Bertoni

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »
Hi everyone

Remember I said that I had my old Affenrucken laundry bag. Well I found it here at my sisters place in Cape Town (dont ask me how it got here).  I've talken a photo to show you guys that I wasnt lying. 

Note that my room was originally No 8 and this was before they converted rooms 1-4 upstairs to the Rec room.  So room 5 became room 1, room 6 became room 2, room 7 became room 3 and room 8  (my original room No) became room 4. B block was upstairs and A block was downstairs.  So my room ended up being room 4B.

Cheers

Malcolm

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
I was browsing through the Affies pics for reasons unknown, examining in finer detail......

When I noticed on this photo, that this must have been taken in the time when Affenrucken had just been built, there appears to be no swimming pool yet?

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988