Author Topic: Is Stephen Hawking right? Could AI lead to the end of humankind?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
Is Stephen Hawking right? Could AI lead to the end of humankind?
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:52:29 AM »

The famous theoretical physicist, Stephen Hawking, has revived the debate on whether our search for improved artificial intelligence will one day lead to thinking machines that will take over from us.

The British scientist made the claim during a wide-ranging interview with the BBC. Hawking has the motor neurone disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and the interview touched on new technology he is using to help him communicate.

It works by modelling his previous word usage to predict what words he will use next, similar to predictive texting available on many smart phone devices.

But Professor Hawking also mentioned his concern over the development of machines that might surpass us.

“Once humans develop artificial intelligence, it would take off on its own and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate,” he reportedly told the BBC.

“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race.”

What are the forms thoughts on this! if any  ape
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Is Stephen Hawking right? Could AI lead to the end of humankind?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
I think not!

AI still require electrical power to survive, this is not always present......

I think in 200 years or so we will be sending AI enabled machines out into the universe to go where mankind cannot ....

But we will still be writing the programmes to run them.

Think it is a Sci-Fi theory.... too many movies....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Sci-fi is one of my interests Mike and we seem to no more about the universe than we do about our own planet earth. We still have not solved the missing Malaysian flight MH17 was it sabotage or a suicide or shot down somewhere.
I appreciate the issue of computers taking over (and one day ending humankind) being raised by someone as high profile, able and credible as Prof Hawking – and it deserves a quick response.

The issue of machine intelligence goes back at least as far as the British code-breaker and father of computer science, Alan Turing in 1950, when he considered the question: “Can machines think?”

The issue of these intelligent machines taking over has been discussed in one way or another in a variety of popular media and culture. Think of the movies Colossus – the Forbin project(1970) and Westworld (1973), and – more recently – Skynet in the 1984 movie Terminator and sequels, to name just a few. Humans we are the inquisitors we have survived to this present day and are already reaching out to our distant neighbours the good old USA have tested a new space vehichael to take humans to Mars and one of the volunteers is the first woman in space russian cosmonaut Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova I think we will be around for a long long time.

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder

Offline Leon Sumter

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »
Stephen Hawking may be a brilliant scientist but I am afraid he and the rest of mankind have nothing to fear. Artificial intelligence is simply that,..... artificial intelligence. Any automated machine be it the worlds fastest most powerful  computer or a production machine of any kind can only slavishly do what it is programmed to do and not a single thing more. And guess what? Humans write the "code" for these machines. Only living organisms have intelligence. Humans are right at the top of the chain of thinking(intelligent) living organisms and that's what makes us so special.

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »

Thanks Leon for your input on this post, I do enjoy listening to my ipod (my first one I got was very robust I dropped it down the toilet and it still works 2GB and the toilet was empty at that time  sorriso2  my new one I dropped that and smashed the glass face apple no how to remarket their products no matter it still works ) podcasts are every where one I particularly like is Starshipsofa its not sophisticated as others but there are some great sci fi stories.
The host of the show Tony C Smith (who comes from my part of the world a Geordie won a Hugo award on 4 April 2010, StarShipSofa became the first podcast to ever be included on the Hugo Awards ballot . It was nominated in the category  Best Fanzine. On 5 September 2010 StarShipSofa went on to become the first podcast to win a Hugo Award. The award was presented at Aussiecon 4 in Melbourne, Australia.

There are two new films out (they are here in OZ they are not sic fi films) one about Steven Hawking The Theory of Everything the other one is the tragic life of Alan Turing The Imitation Game have not seen them yet but will do.

Alan Turing the pioneering mathematician and computer scientist who played a key role in decrypting German codes in the second world war, is to have a moment in the spotlight 60 years after he killed himself in 1954.

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
hers a simple example of new technology which is revolutionizing the way jobs will be created in the near future.   

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:23:29 AM »
  Here's another sign of the times