Looking for info and advice from Oranjemunders!
I am starting to plan one or two camping trips (my wife, my 15 year old daughter and me, the grumpy old man) up the west coast (from Cape Town) and will appreciate any insights or info.
1. Is Shepherds Nek still the only camping site at Oranjemund? I it still as bad as suggested by one of the correspondents at this site? Does anyone have their contact info (the email address on the site bounced). The last time I went there was with my Mom when she was girl guide commissioner. It was like an oasis.
2. My wife and I once meandered along the south bank and came across a farm (?) which had a lovely grassed camp site (before Sendelingsdrif): Does anyone know where this was/is and how to contact them?
3. Does one need a 4x4 to go to the camp site at Sendelingsdrif? Anyone been there?
4. Anyone been to the McDougalls Bay cap site. Recommend it?
5. Hondeklip Bay camp site?
6. The Oranjemund website mentions Hohenfels - is there a camp site there.
I know these are very open-ended questions. My camping in S A book seems to ignore north of the western cape. There doesn't seem to be a central source of info for the north west cape and southern west Namibia (port nolloth - oranjemund - alex bay - rosh pinah etc).
Seems to be appropriate to start one, so any info you provide I was thinking of centralising in one website and if Mike is interested, he can put some info on his website as well.
Can I really be the only interested (mad?) person thinking of a camping route?
Mike, maybe you can drop me a line sometime about what you sell (gas? ice? meat? paraffin?). Do you have a website which lists your products and prices ( a la p & pay online shopping)? Nice to know what one doesn't have to lug around between cape town and oranjemund.
Thank you all. Besides responding let me know if you are interested in the evolving collated information.
(Please note I am not enquiring about B&b's etc. )