Author Topic: Remembering the Boer War  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
Remembering the Boer War
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:48 AM »
The Institute for Historical Review website has published an interesting article Remembering the Boer War. The IHR, founded in 1978, is an educational publishing centre which is non-partisan, non-ideological, and non-sectarian.
My interest is that I recall my grandfather, who served as a private in the Gordon Highlanders in the Boer War, being highly critical of Brit conduct in the war and swore to his dying day he would never again serve in a British regiment.
As a result I arrived in SA as a very young man with my head filled with pro-Boer sentiment which gradually turned to disenchantment with Nat politics. Since reading this article I realise just how much their desperately isolationist policies were driven by their history.
Comment anyone?
Regards,
Bob.
Link: (via shareaholic) http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v18/v18n3p14_Weber.html
Bob Molloy

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Remembering the Boer War
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
A lot of people do not realise that their were Irish, welsh and scots on both sides of this conflict..... My father is a big Boer war buff, but to get him online is neigh impossible....

:ciupa1:
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
again another war  among the many  of eons , sentiments anti and pro .. each side  doing their own bit of  wrongdoing  ... the Boers  had to admire their  ragtag courageous  first to practice guerilla warfare , the Brits  sticking to  conventional  to their disadvantage ...  the  scorched earth policy   a total travesty as it  singled out the civilians , the  prisoner camps another travesty ... war  in the words of Bob a sickmaking  thing ...
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Gen Beyers’ driver , with the Daimler  car in which De La Rey was shot . Beyers'  attended De la Rey’s funeral with this car with the bullet hole clearly visible  . This car were stolen and mysteriously disappeared 1947
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:14:27 PM by henniek »

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
Why was De La Rey shot?
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
There is some debate about who shot De la Rey or why but the facts are that the car ran through a couple of police road blocks set up to catch a gang of criminals (the Foster gang) and at one of these the shot that killed him was fired into the back of the car.
Because it was wartime and Byers and De la Rey were suspected of plotting to set up a rebellion the suspicion exists that the road block was set up to assassinate him.
My view is that as only a single shot was fired into the car after it passed the road block then the first possibility is more likely. An assassination would have riddled the car with shots.
Bob Molloy

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »
Something that gave rise to the conspiracy idea , was that while traveling - they stopped to stretch legs  , and when they got back in the car , Beyers went and sit in the seat where de La Rey sat during the journey up to that point . Shortly afterwards the shooting incident happened . Beyers said that he moved seats because the wind blew smoke from his pipe into de la Rey's face

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Strange things happens during wars; Quoting from the "WAR REPORTER "  the aftermath of the battle of Tweebosch RSA. ; Gen de la Rey soon heard that Methuen had been wounded , and immediately went to his opponent to pay his respects. and ensured that Methuen received good treatment . De la Ray took command , and made sure that all the wounded warriors on both sides were treated by both the British medic's , and boer doctor Carl von Rennenkamph and his medical team , as well as conditions in the veld allowed .  . Our reporter reports that he was struck by almost unbelievable phenomenon that two groups who had moments before done their best to kill each other , immediately after the battle were assisting each other to help the wounded and carry away the dead . it seemed almost irrational.