Author Topic: What happened on April Fool's Day  (Read 997 times)

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
What happened on April Fool's Day
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »
Google this for a looksee.

April Fools' Day 2015: Our Giant Roundup of the Best Brand Hoaxes
Bob Molloy

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
Re: What happened on April Fool's Day
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »
RSG announced that the regular presenter of the early morning program is retiring , and that Steve Hoffmeyer has been appointed in his place . April 1 - 2015

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
The April Fool hoax which caught my attention this year was the announcement that the British firm of Marmite would change from black Marmite to a clear, see-through Marmite and displayed a photo showing a clear glass Marmite bottle. That must have caused a furore among Marmite lovers.
I had my best response from a hoax I once ran in the Cape Times which reported that a tunnel from Constantia Nek to Gardens - cutting travel time by 20 minutes - was now complete and would be opened at 12 noon. The paper still had queries for weeks after inquiring how motorists could access the tunnel.
I was hoping Mike would have given Oranjemud a Spar hoax. For examle what fun to have been told that the shop would be selling live swordfish - minimum size 50 kilos - until 12 noon, one per customer.
Bob Molloy

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Hi Bob,

For some reason or other, I knew about the tunnel through the mountain story.... was this in the 80's by any chance?

As for running a Spar Hoax, I was caught out well and good by my brother Paul, many moons ago and since then have a severe distaste for the day......

Bah! Hambug!   ill-3d   sorriso2
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
The tunnel story was either late 70s or early 80s. That one caught an extraordinary number of people.
I still think April Fool's Day is about having harmless fun and raising a smile. The story should carry a reminder in it somewhere that it is April 1 and that should alert most wideawake people to the fact that it is a hoax. Usually this means mentioning 12 noon as the time of the occurence.
Hold on to April First hoaxes, Mike. Life is richer while you still believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden, Santa Claus and the Red Baron.
Bob Molloy