Author Topic: Face Book. The dangers and Consequeences  (Read 43 times)

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
Face Book. The dangers and Consequeences
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:15:16 AM »
Dangers and Consequences of Oversharing On Social Media

Do you like inviting trouble? Though nobody does, they do invite trouble. They do it unintentionally – and that is through over-sharing on the social media sites. This article focuses on problems of over-sharing on social media sites like Facebook, Foursquare, and Twitter. It also talks about some special websites and apps that were designed to increase awareness about inviting troubles through social media posts.

All three websites we are talking about in this article are highly addictive – Facebook, Foursquare, and Twitter – so much that they are being considered as the new opium of the masses! They provide a way to share things related to your life, while also providing a method to vent out your emotions.

Foursquare allows you to ‘check in’ at different places so that your friends know where you are. Owing to the ease of use, people share whatever comes to their mind. You got invited to a dinner at your friend’s. You compose a tweet and send it to Twitter. You go to your friend’s place and ‘check in’ using Foursquare to tell others where you are.

Oversharing On Social Media
But how safe are you when using these websites? What happens when you create a profile on Facebook and post things on it? What happens when you upload the image of your brand new car parked in front of your house? What can happen when you ‘check in’ on Foursquare when at a friend’s place? Let us talk about the possible problems of sharing things with just anyone.

Where Am I? Come Get Me!

You can upload images to both Facebook and Twitter. When you click a picture, it records meta data that includes your geographic position in terms of latitude and longitude. While Facebook and Twitter have that feature to remove any metadata associated with images, they do it only when you are using their web interface. Most of us tend to click using the cellphone and update our status using the same. Both Facebook and Twitter fail to remove meta-data while dealing with third party applications for uploading and sharing photographs.

If anyone wants to know the details about your whereabouts when clicking a picture, she or he can simply download the image and run it through some software like ExifTool that is designed to extract metadata from images. When used with Google Maps or Google Street View, these co-ordinates give away the street map of the place where the image was taken. Imagine you uploaded your house’s image. The person doing the investigation can trace you easily as he or she gets the complete map to your place. Isn’t that scary?

Come Stalk Me

While researching about the problems of over-sharing, I came across a case where a woman was using Foursquare to ‘check into’ every place she went. Strangely (or not), one of her friends always appeared at the same place within minutes of sending out the location. In other words, she was being stalked by someone based on her ‘check-ins’ on Foursquare. She later contacted 911 to get rid of the person as she could not discontinue using Foursquare. The lesson learned from this case is twofold:

Don’t invite people to stalk you
Be very careful when making friends on social networking sites – not all are simple people busy with their own lives.
Talking about Foursquare, matters become worse when one of your friends drops by at your home and ‘checks into’ Foursquare. Your home address is instantly visible to everyone related to that friend. Your friend may regularly visit your place and keep ‘checking into’ Foursquare while at the same time, making your house address famous on the Internet. It is up to you how you deal with such people.

Also, when you say that you are somewhere, you also send out the signal that you are not somewhere else. If you say you are at some coffee shop, you are also saying you are not home. Given that your house address is not tough to find using the social networking sites, anyone can make a trip to your house when you are not there (when you are somewhere else).

Learn More About Me

When you create your Facebook profile, you make sure you enter each and every field they provide. Do you also provide your phone numbers and email addresses? If yes, who are they visible to? If you leave them to be visible to everyone, what could be the consequences? It is not hard to imagine.

A little more digging into your Facebook timeline will tell others what kind of person you are – your likes and dislikes, your habits and hobbies, what you do during the day (or night) and more. Each Facebook timeline is a story about a person. The more you dig into the Timeline, the more facts you find about them.

Take This Lollipop

There is a website TakeThisLollipop.com that is based on your Facebook profile. Though it was working just fine till very recently, it is now defunct It used to create a horror movie based on the data you left on your Facebook timeline. When you log into the website using your Facebook ID, it showed a person studying your profile. The character is horrifying, and the lighting of the movie is one from those haunted stories. It shows how the villain keeps on reading your timeline and follows you to your place.

Please Rob Me

This is another interesting website that showcases the problems of over-sharing on Facebook. It used data from Twitter and Foursquare to show what all houses and places are vacant and can be robbed. It kind of served a one stop place for robbers to find out the places they can attack.

There was a huge outcry over this website functioning following which, the admins removed its functionality. Pleaserobme.com still exists but does not show vulnerable places anymore. Instead, it links to reviews of pleaserobme.com that tell people how dangerous it is to share everything with everyone.

Following the outrage back then, Foursquare stopped access to user data using APIs, in 2012.

This is a good move and reduces the chances of users being robbed, but still, you should be careful – especially when choosing who all can see where you are. I don’t see any logic in letting people in general to view where you are – and where you are not – as you may be stalked or worse still, you may be robbed.

Open Status Search

This is another interesting website I found related to problems of over-sharing. Open Status Search allows you to search for status updates of people without even having to log into your Facebook account. You can anonymously find out what people are saying and doing and then ‘make your decision’ based on that.

For example, you can run a search to see who all are drunk within your locality. All you need is a good combination of keywords, and you can narrow down the search to few blocks around your place.

Isn’t it a cool website to know about your neighbors?

Find Girls Near You

This was basically an application based on Foursquare. When you logged into the app and entered the place you are, it searched Foursquare ‘check-ins’ to tell you about the location of girls around your place. Using the mapping feature, you can find the shortest route to one of them. Again, this was taken down due to an outcry, especially from women groups who thought the app was exposing women to dangers. Honestly, don’t you think people can still be in danger without that app – given that so many people use Foursquare?

We know what you are doing

There are many more websites and apps that make good usage of data you share over the social media networks. You may be interested in visiting We Know What You Are Doing. This website thinks you should stop oversharing on the social media if you are concerned about internet privacy. Started as a social experiment by Callum Haywood, this website reproduces public status posts of thousands of Facebook users who have recently posted about drugs, hating their boss, being hung over and about their new phone number!

In an interview to CNN, Callum Haywood says, “I created the website to make people aware of the issues that it creates when they post such information on Facebook without any privacy settings enabled. The people featured on the site are most likely not aware that what they post as ‘public’ can be seen by absolutely anybody, and that Facebook will happily give away this information to other websites via its Graph API.”
This interesting social experiment unmasks the chinks in a common user’s attitude armor and underlines his/her carelessness while dealing with private personal information. Head over to the We Know What You Are Doing website to check it out!

Facebook allows you to share posts only with certain people if you want. You can harden your Facebook security settings. You may also be interested in Tips To Protect Your Privacy On Twitter. One should also be careful and check if you are sharing posts from Fake News websites.

The bottom line is that, the social media sites provide many features to protect your privacy. You need follow some online safety tips, be careful and use those features to protect yourself from possible problems of over-sharing.

What do you think? Do you agree with my views or do you think I am paranoid!?
Posted by ArunKumar@TWC on April 29, 2014 , in Category General with Tags Online safety, Social Media
Arun Kumar is a Microsoft MVP alumnus, obsessed with technology, especially the Internet. He deals with the multimedia content needs of training and corporate houses. Follow him on Twitter @PowercutIN  image14
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Face Book. The dangers and Consequeences
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
I have been distancing myself from FB lately...... All the fake news was getting a bit much, all the ignorant folk believing that the fake tosh posted online were getting to me.... People only remembering my birthday because FB reminded them.....

Now FB are emailing me to inform me about ABC 's post and did I see the reponse to XYZ's photo...
I have also noticed how FB uses peoples profiles to endorse a topic or product and then make as if they themselves made a post ( cancer causes are popular) only to find that the exact same post was made by another friend....

Also the one's where the Bots hijack an account by saying.... " I know nobody will reply to this, but if you are my true friend....." What a scam, modern day chainmail....

It's been two weeks and I am busy weaning myself off this skinner rubbish.....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline mavis(smith)

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
I can send you a  woo_hoo daman :emot112_2:

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
SECURITY
Five hidden dangers of Facebook (Q&A)
Joan Goodchild, senior editor of CSO (Chief Security Officer) Online, outlines on The Early Show big risks she thinks people should be aware they're taking when they use social network

Facebook claims that it has 400 million users. But are they well-protected from prying eyes, scammers, and unwanted marketers?

Not according to Joan Goodchild, senior editor of CSO (Chief Security Officer) Online.

She says your privacy may be at far greater risk of being violated than you know, when you log onto the social-networking site, due to security gaffes or marketing efforts by the company.

Facebook came under fire this past week, when 15 privacy and consumer protection organizations filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, charging that the site, among other things, manipulates privacy settings to make users' personal information available for commercial use. Also, some Facebook users found their private chats accessible to everyone on their contact list--a major security breach that's left a lot of people wondering just how secure the site is.

In two words, asserts Goodchild: not very.

On "The Early Show on Saturday Morning," Goodchild spotlighted five dangers she says Facebook users expose themselves to, probably without being aware of them:

Your information is being shared with third parties
Privacy settings revert to a less safe default mode after each redesign
Facebook ads may contain malware
Your real friends unknowingly make you vulnerable
Scammers are creating fake profiles
Below is an edited transcript of the interview.

Is Facebook a secure platform to communicate with your friends?
Here's the thing: Facebook is one of the most popular sites in the world. Security holes are being found on a regular basis. It is not as inherently secure as people think it is, when they log on every day.

Certainly, there are growing pains. Facebook is considered a young company, and it has been around a few years now. It is continuing to figure this out. They are so young, they are still trying to figure out how they are going to make money. It is hard to compare this to others; we have never had this phenomenon before in the way [so many] people are communicating with each other--only e-mail comes close.

The potential for crime is real. According to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, victims of Internet-related crimes lost $559 million in 2009. That was up 110 percent from the previous year. If you're not careful using Facebook, you are looking at the potential for identity theft, or possibly even something like assault, if you share information with a dangerous person you think is actually a "friend." One British police agency recently reported that the number of crimes it has responded to in the last year involving Facebook climbed 346 percent. These are real threats.

Lately, it seems a week doesn't go by without some news about a Facebook-related security problem. Earlier this week, TechCrunch discovered a security hole that made it possible for users to read their friends' private chats. Facebook has since patched it, but who knows how long that flaw existed? Some speculate it may have been that way for years.

Last month, researchers at VeriSign's iDefense group discovered that a hacker was selling Facebook usernames and passwords in an underground hacker forum. It was estimated that he had about 1.5 million accounts--and was selling them for between $25 and $45.

And the site is constantly under attack from hackers trying to spam these 400 million users, or harvest their data, or run other scams. Certainly, there is a lot of criticism in the security community of Facebook's handling of security. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that the company rarely responds to inquiries.

Do people really have privacy on Facebook?
No. There are all kinds of ways third parties can access information about you. For instance, you may not realize that, when you are playing the popular games on Facebook, such as FarmVille, or take those popular quizzes--every time you do that, you authorize an application to be downloaded to your profile that gives information to third parties about you that you have never signed off on.

Does Facebook share info about users with third parties through things such as Open Graph?
Open Graph is a new concept for Facebook, which unveiled it last month at its F8 conference. It actually is basically a way to share the information in your profile with all kinds of third parties, such as advertisers, so they can have a better idea of your interests and what you are discussing, so Facebook can--as portrayed--"make it a more personal experience."

The theory behind Open Graph--even if it has not implemented it--is its whole business model, isn't it?
That is the business model--Facebook is trying to get you to share as much information as possible so it can monetize it by sharing it with advertisers.

Isn't it in Facebook's best interest to get you to share as much info as possible?
It absolutely is. Facebook's mission is to get you to share as much information as it can so it can share it with advertisers. As it looks now, the more info you share, the more money it is going to make with advertisers.

Isn't there also a security problem every time it redesigns the site?
Every time Facebook redesigns the site, which [usually] happens a few times a year, it puts your privacy settings back to a default in which, essentially, all of your information is made public. It is up to you, the user, to check the privacy settings and decide what you want to share and what you don't want to share.

Facebook does not [necessarily] notify you of the changes, and your privacy settings are set back to a public default. Many times, you may find out through friends. Facebook is not alerting you to these changes; it is just letting you know the site has been redesigned.

Can your real friends on Facebook also can make you vulnerable?
Absolutely. Your security is only as good as your friend's security. If someone in your network of friends has a weak password, and his or her profile is hacked, he or she can now send you malware, for example.

There is a common scam called a 419 scam, in which someone hacks your profile and sends messages to your friends asking for money - claiming to be you--saying, "Hey, I was in London, I was mugged, please wire me money." People fall for it. People think their good friend needs help--and end up wiring money to Nigeria.

A lot of Web sites we use display banner ads, but do we have to be wary of them on Facebook?
Absolutely: Facebook has not been able to screen all of its ads. It hasn't done a great job of vetting which ads are safe and which are not. As a result, you may get an ad in your profile when you are browsing around one day that has malicious code in it. In fact, last month, there was an ad with malware that asked people to download antivirus software that was actually a virus.

Is too big a network of friends dangerous?
You know people with a lot of friends--500, 1,000 friends on Facebook? What is the likelihood they are all real? There was a study in 2008 that concluded that 40 percent of all Facebook profiles are fake. They have been set up by bots or impostors.

If you have 500 friends, it is likely there is a percentage of people you don't really know, and you are sharing a lot of information with them, such as when you are on vacation, your children's pictures, their names. Is this information you really want to put out there to people you don't even know?

This interview, "Five Hidden Dangers of Facebook," was originally published on CBSNews.com.   ThatStinks2

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.