Author Topic: This Forum  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Adriaan Van Rooyen

• Oranjemunder
  • There's Only One Western Province!
Re: This Forum
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong ,but this is the only town in the world where kids can go and play without being mugged and all that wrong things that can happen.I grew up here ,my kids grew up here ,Mike A grew up here and his kids as well ,so what more positive does people want,or does being locked up in your own home means its fine,no sir the kids still enjoy their freedom and that means this town is doing something right,watch this space we will add some photos ... but allso nice to read your comments...
There's Only One Western Province!

Offline Mike Thurtell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »
Adriaan, I think the profile of OM's safety seems to be similar to smaller towns in South Africa. you can walk in the streets of McGregor etc in completely safety. However, the city is a different story altogether. I live in Rondebosch, cape Town. My family cleared and developed the municipal field next to our house and developed it into a park. We mowed the field for over 15 years and pruned the trees. The trees and other plants are donated by neighbours.The security fence was paid for by the neighbours. Sniper security has two security guys sitting in the park as a fulltime job, and a security hut up the road in Milner Road. My son;s friend was robbed in the park by kids jumping over the security fence from Athlone. About 75% of Rondebosch residents pay over R700 per month to RCID (rondebosch community improvement district, which is basically a cover for ADT patrols) while SAPS patrols are like that picture of three monkeys , the one not seeing, the other not hearing etc.. Sniper also does patrols. There have been at least 15 burglaries in my road and adjoining road over the last 3 years. we fix potholes. One was a gun robbery of a car following pizza-buying residents home. Our president said in his parliamentary opening speech this year that all is OK in the DA's Rondebosch.

Not sure what you pay fro schooling but here for the better state schoold like SACS, Westerford or Rondebosch you are looking at R2500+ a month, not taking into account "Voluntary donations" (usually another R1000 per month, which you sign for when applying to get your kid into school!)

And then of course there's loadshedding, not enough gas ...

And then of course the lack of infrastructure - Rondebosch bridge still same width as 100 years ago!(single lane each way)

No wonder Bertie wants to come back!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like O'Mund is still the land of honey and milk!:) Enjoy! I'm envious (and it seems turning into a grumpy old man although only age 56)

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
hahaah grumpy old man ,next month i am 55 hehe still feeling like 30 though,must be all this fresh air ,no loadshedding and yes we are still not paying for water,housing elec allthough we will be in the future ,jeez,all that security and they still get mugged ,and then you get some really spoilt people here in Oranjemund that actually moan about going through the border posts and then security ,,,for flips sakes and they don't pay a cent for security..honestly i don't know ,some guys left a while ago telling me .they were so glad to see the last of Oranjemund,believe you me that same guys wants to come back now scarcely two years down the line.. in a few years they will open the town up ,but as some guys will tell you it is a very expensive town to try and stay af you don't have a job,as this area is declared as a national park,the chances tthat every tom dick and harry will erect a shack will be slim ,or so we hope...In due time you will be able to buy your house so lets take it from there,as this could well develop into a very good tourist attraction..and as we have allready seen,a lot of tourists  ..... i think when they eventually display the 500 year old shipwreck .it would indeed be a big attraction..

Offline Mike Thurtell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
just to make your day (today), did I mention:

1. Nearly every suburb in the southern suburbs now has privately owned (by CID's such as RCID mentioned yesterday) cameras which monitor all vehicle movements, so they know movements. Rondebosch has about 20 such cameras. So if you lived here some okes will know when and where you leave particular areas of Rondebosch. This is using a numberplate recognition system. rather a scary invasion of privacy.

2. Regarding your comments about kids playing freely in the park, we have a massive problem with residents having large dogs, but refusing to put them on leashes, as required by law. I have laid criminal charges against a woman in the street for her dog attacking me. A neighbour across the park pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm after assaulting a neighbour's kid in the park. The guy three houses from me has been warned that his dog will be destroyed after his dog has attacked 6 other dogs. Another two women have been issued with compliance notices. En so gaan dit aan buite OM ........

Enjoy the peace my friend!:)

(It was with tremendous amazement to read from you that in addition to your peace, parks, animals etc you have free water, electricity and housing. Besides our mortgage bond, our electricity and water rates are "loaded" because we live in a "wealthy" suburb and the state schools like SACS, Westerford and SACS receive state subsidies that if they are lucky enough covers their water bills, and the parents cover more than half the salaries (by way of employing additional teachers).

Regards from the grump one!

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
Mike T ..regardiing the dog issues ,i seriously recommend the shock batons thats available in any security shop Even the small ones will give a big dog such a nasty shock i doubt that he will ever come near you...

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »
Yes, I really want to go back.  I tell everybody that the moment I drove past the gates at Swartkops, I immediately started to feel safe and so much at peace, it was SO good...  For those 40+ hours I had absolutely nothing to worry about, a feeling I felt being torn away on the way back to the Cape on the long drive.
Mike T, you'll be shocked to hear the horror stories from the South African "small towns".  I live in one, in fact, less than 30 minutes' drive from McGregor which you mentioned.  Local unrest, drugs, gangsters, theft, plundering.... now all part of the previously tranquil, peaceful towns - it's scary.  The only thing that saved my plot from being torched (twice) during violent protests in the last 3 years, was the fact that I've been very kind to the locals and treated them like human beings.  More than once I heard single voices ring out through the chanting and hateful masses wielding knopkieries, golf clubs, and burning torches: "Leave the dentist.... leave the dentist!" and they marched on.  Nobody wants to go through something like that. And it's unfortunately here to stay, I do not see it getting better.
Adriaan, jy is voorwaar gelukkig. Ek wens ek het die kans gehad om aan te bly in Oranjemund.
Groete aan die familie!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
yES Bertie,i have made my choice so dis a lot of other residents too ,I am extremely happy here ,I mean this is my home town where I grew up... why woulkd I want to go and stay somewhere else,only to live like some caged animal ..the fishing is not too bad here ,within three years the rosh pinah road would be tarred ,connecting us with the road network of Namibia. woo_hoo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:56:43 AM by Michael Alexander »

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »
Okay,Mike T .the photo is for you ,kids playing at the hockey field with the gemsbok grazing nonchalant nearby...