Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Oranjemund Advertiser! / NAMDEB JOBFINDER - 19th April 2017
« Last post by Michael Alexander on April 19, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
Latest Jobs!
The Photograph Board! / Re: Dabaras circa 1969
« Last post by Michael Alexander on April 18, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »
I missed this post, thanks for the history John, much appreciated...

Never knew about the power generation here...
The Photograph Board! / Roy Fields!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on April 18, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
A lot of you old timers will recall the old Oranjemund character , Roy Fields.

I received a nice email from Andy Turner in the UK. His late father Ernest Turner was a good friend of Roy Fields back in  England.

Whilst digging through his father's photo's, he found these attached photographs which he sent onto me with the following quote.

"From memory, I think Roy and Mavis came out to live and work in S.A. twice and these photos were taken on the eve of one of the departures. One was taken at my mom and dads house (I remember the wallpaper...lol) and the other two were taken that evening. They had a 'get together' at the club where my dad was one of the resident musicians. I recall that Roy got up on stage and sang the song, "This is my lovely day"  which carries the line "...this is the day I shall remember the day I'm dying..." which almost reduced my dad to tears. They were big buddies.

I mentioned Roy in a short biography I did on a website dedicated to my dad, following his death in 2006. You can see it here.."

Link: http://andyturner1.wixsite.com/ernest-turner/biography

Thanks for sharing Andy! much appreciated!
Oranjemund Video / Re: Dust Town
« Last post by Pete on April 17, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
That footage of the Arch was taken in the early 90's.  The pilot, if my memory serves me correctly, was Trevor Troup. 
The Family Tree! Stork and Baby Story / Re: Wow! What A Reconnection!
« Last post by Robert Bruce on April 15, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Mike, this the late '70,s thru to mid 80's
« Last post by Michael Alexander on April 15, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
Robert, what years are we talking about here?
Oranjemund Video / Re: Dust Town
« Last post by Michael Alexander on April 15, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
Thanks for that Pete, first time to see it...

Stunning video of the Arch from the helicopter and the image of your ol' bakkie parked by the Pink House with that sky, unbelievable....
Oranjemund Video / Dust Town
« Last post by Pete on April 14, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »
« Last post by Robert Bruce on April 12, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
Mike, I have just found this and am gobsmacked that Simonstown featured in the lives of Ornjemunders.

Funny that my best mate in CT was the son of Vice-Admiral Kleinschmidt of the SA Navy.

Most Sundays, the three of us could be found headed out of Simonstown across the False Bay toward Hermanus. V-M Kleinschmidt owned one of only two twin-masted steel hulled boats in SA (I seem to recall). Approx 45ft in length and a fast ride in a strong False Bay wind. Loved it.

No matter how little sleep we had Saturday night and how much we had imbibed, we had to 'report' for duty by no later 07:30am Sunday mornings! Yes, there was often two dronk deckhands on board...! Foul wether was my worst nightmare when in a state of Saturday night overindulgence.

Small world. Will scan a couple of photos and post here tomorrow if I can get them scanned.
Things I Remember About Oranjemund! / Oranjemund's Roundabouts aka The Circles
« Last post by Robert Bruce on April 12, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »
I was shocked to read here last night that OM no longer has a plethora of circles (roundabouts in OM kid language from way back), and I am distraught because now Mr & Mrs G. Bok have nowhere to go for a decent night out, a nutritious meal followed by some romance resulting in Junior G. Bok a few months later.

So tell me mense, how is OM going to preserve the future of this incredible animal that has become a part of the community?

No circles, no meal = no junior G.Bok. So sad and irresponsible of OM or DB to let the circles vanish.

Ek het n plan - bring back the circles and guarantee the G.Boks future at OM and in best desert on the planet.

Simples ne'? Wie stem saam?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10