Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Oranjemund Bush Telegraph! / Re: Oranjemund To Open ~ 14th October 2017
« Last post by Mike Thurtell on August 12, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »
I have been bemused that it has taken so long to free Oranjemund, seeing that the town was separated from the mining area decades ago, and Namibia joined the UN, has a Bill of Rights and in its recent "compliance report" re its obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, said:

CCPR/C/NAM/2

"Article 12 - Freedom of movement
157.   Article 21 of the Namibian Constitution guarantees freedom of movement of the individual. The right to move freely throughout Namibia, to reside and settle in any part of Namibia and to leave and return to Namibia is a constitutionally guaranteed right.
158.   Article 7 of the Namibian Constitution provides that deprivation of the right to personal liberty must be in accordance with procedures established by law.
159.   Womenís civil liberties and freedom of movement is guaranteed by the Namibian Constitution and married women can travel without their husbandís permission.
160.   All persons have the right to reside in a place of their choice within Namibia. The problem arises when people erect shacks in a proclaimed area without the permission of the local authority. In this case, they will be forced to leave or face eviction for violating the local authority laws."

I'm sure that for many the opening will be a threat, but then for some this is a wonderful business opportunity.

Whatever the outcome, it is very difficult for a state to justify closed towns unless they are military or nuclear installations or the like.

Good luck Oranjemund!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on August 11, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
If one more person in the shop comes to me and complains about not wanting the town to open, I think I will cry......

:nono1:

The town will need to open if you want to enable it's chance for a better future..... otherwise, you might wake up with an empty worthless town one day....
Oranjemund Bush Telegraph! / New Shopping Mall to built down at Eastgate!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on August 11, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
The fine citizens of Oranjemund were briefed last night that a property developer will be developing a new mall near the entrance of town......

I have spoken about this on numerous occasions on this forum....

This is like placing the cart before the horse,  you need to grow other alternative cash revenues in the town before building such projects.... create the demand first...

You will  not be creating new jobs.......

I already touched on the subject informally with our local shop union this morning...  once another store opens obviously our turnover will take a dip and we will have no option to retrench.......

Reality of life, I guess.....
The Photograph Board! / Re: Hennie's Snaps!
« Last post by henniek on August 04, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
a few more from years ago
« Last post by Mike Thurtell on July 31, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
Thanks Mike for your reply. Fromm a selfish perspective that's nice: I can pop up on the spur of the moment/long weekend and get mugged in Oranjemund instead of Cape Town. sounds like a massive business opportunity/ies in the private security line.
Presumably one must apply for a visa?

After the 14th of October, No more visa/permit...... just a valid passport of you are coming from SA.

A lot of locals are not happy with their unemployed family members wanting to come and squat with them in anticipation of finding non existent work.........
A source on the floor reckons two people from a contracting company were picked up by the local police for theft.... Not too sure if it was linked to this case....

« Last post by Mike Thurtell on July 31, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
Presumably one must apply for a visa?
« Last post by Jeremy Dixon on July 31, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
Im putting money on a huge influx of people in search of the Oranjemund dream.

Oranjemund Bush Telegraph! / Re: Proclamation doubts?
« Last post by Michael Alexander on July 30, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
Wow! Cannot believe this was posted more than six years ago and has serious references to it after all these years...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10