Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Oranjemund Bush Telegraph! / The new DeBeers Diamond Vessel!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 16, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
Designed from the ground up by DeBeers to mine the coast off Oranjemund, The SS Nujoma was launched....

LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4611248/The-diamond-hunter-sets-sail.html

Nice to see the mail picking up the article...
My Holiday Trip / Re: Luderitz - Nowhere Quite Like It!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 15, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Nice article, with stunning photographs...

Thanks for the link Pete!
Looking For Oranjemunders! / Re: Looking for PPJ!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 15, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »
Thanks for that Leon, all those long haired lovers from Liverpool,

sorriso2

Can you recall the price of one of those bikes back in the day?
Looking For Oranjemunders! / Re: Looking for PPJ!
« Last post by Leon Sumter on June 15, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
Jakes on his yellow Yamaha 125, Pepe kneeling in front, me on my green Honda 70, Andre Hanekom at rear on right.
Lost Diamonds! / Re: RIP ~ Roland Kuffner!
« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 14, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Adding to the above about the flag flying, Roland loved flags and always hoisted three flags, The highest one being the Namibian National Flag, then on a lower pole, the German Kreigsmarine Flag , and it escapes what was on the 3rd flagpole....
« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 14, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
A local resident had the following descriptive words to say about Roland!

the existing trees    planted at the 13th avenue flat  on the corner  were  planted by Roland.  He also always hoisted the German   flag   and his house  was a museum.   He was an SS soldier and a pilot if my memory serves  me right. He once showed  me his documents.  Always insisted on a full examination pad   and   diary and  always pressured the bank to provide  him with a diary   and desk  calendar   for free. He had a lot of German    momento's   and  visitors  to Oranjemund were always taken to his home as he was such an interesting and knew the world's history backwards.
An animal lover- had   koi  fish/ geese/ chickens   and  dogs.    Also fond of gardening.

Just to add to the above, I think it was his father that served in the SS.

Indeed a very interesting character and always a smile on his face!

« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 14, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
On his last visit to Oranjemund back in 2012,  Malcolm Bertoni visited the Kufner's  and took the below photo before he left...

« Last post by Michael Alexander on June 13, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »
After he had retired and bought a Park Home out Pigsville side of town, he would often come to Spar on his bicycle, wearing that French style cap, with his one trouser leg pants rolled up with a peg keeping it in place , He would always say to us in a thick German accent, "There's a Friendly Schpaaaaar wherever you are!"

« Last post by Jeremy Dixon on June 13, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
I remember the landcover parked outside his place, it never moved. Rumor had it that he had stockpiled cans of food and water in preparation.

Like the TV show preppers preparing for some dooms day event.

Not sure how true this all is, Im sure there are some more tall tales.

Fond memories of him, didn't know him well but he was always friendly and polite.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10