Author Topic: Enough is Enough  (Read 261 times)

Offline Paul Nel

• Oranjemunder
Enough is Enough
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »
Good day everybody.

This is my first time posting here, even though i have probably read through every single topic. I was a Oranjemunder from 1986 - 2001. I turned 18 in 2001, and because i was attending school in Alexanderbay highschool I had dual citizenship (Study visa reasons). Long story short, when i matriculated the border post figured out I had dual citizenship and asked me there and then to choose which citizenship I want. I said RSA because i was going to go study in Cape Town and because I was stupid. The border post then gave me 24 hours to leave Oranjemund or they would lock me up. Their words, not mine. Life has been happening for the past 16 years, and now its 2017 already.

My question is this....I was not born in Oranjemund, and i am not sure if i had permanent residency or Nam citizenship. However at the age of 34, being gatvol of RSA, I want to return to O/mund. I dont care if i have to come sweep the streets, its still a better place than what we have down here in CPT, and as everyone always say....Once a Oranjemunder, always an Oranjemunder.

Is there any hope for me, getting my NAM residency or citizenship back? Or how does one go about becoming a Oranjemunder again?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE......I just realized i have posted this in the wrong topic category. My bad.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:34:49 PM by Paul Nel »

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Enough is Enough
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Hi Paul,

I do not think you will be able to claim Namibian citizenship.

If you were born here, that would be a different story,

Sadly.... a lot of South Africans were given the choice after Independence on choosing to become Namibians or South Africans, most chose South Africa and it is amazing to see how many are trying to settle in Namibia.

I might be wrong..... maybe somebody else can add....

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988