Author Topic: An Awesome Email!  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: An Awesome Email!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
... and a Newletter article about the club.... I remember this day....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »
I quote from Sue's email:

"Hi there
Not sure if this is the same story  re  model aeroplane -
Here goes:
It was NOT a model aeroplane, but a proper 2 or 4 seater aeroplane  -  landed on the beach, got stuck in sand, - think near Affenrucken  ( this plane I think it may be the same plane, was stored in a shed near the old Gemsbok workshop south east of North Hostel.
Also not sure if this  was the little aeroplane  that was brought to town
at the back of a truck to a Christmas tree party to show the kids the areoplane in the early seventies. "

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
Michael/ I have a pic of myself standing next to the real plane . At the time when the pic was taken the plane was still fairly OK although standing in the scrapyard at the old workshops. Bob asked me if I know the story. After his request it took me a few years to get the info re something that happened about 60 years ago . But Its too late now tho share the story with Bob . as he passed away mid last year .
And yes. the plane was once used at a Mule Derby . hooked to the gib of a crane and rotated around , to give the passengers a feeling of flying .. The quote from Sue is correct . it was areal plane, and not a model
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:54:56 PM by henniek »

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »
So much interesting history that has gone to waste.... Thanks Hennie...

These items should have been kept for some kind of historic diamond museum....

Who was piloting the aircraft that had it's wing or tail cut off by the HT line that spans the Orange River near Beauvallon?  Was this Roy Fields?

Offline derek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Hello, I was there in approximately 1976/77 The stories then were that model aeroplanes were banned, model boats were not allowed, and also carrier pigeons were forbidden. Best regards Derek

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
The man who wanted to airlift diamonds out of th spergebit was a trusted prospecter. , a fellow from Scottland . in 1949 he  was working for the mine stationed at Kolmanns .   1951 saw him in Oranjemund  , overseeing a prospecting gang in the area around Chameis Bay . once a week the diamond pots were taken to the resident geologist in town .  But the prospector kept some of the better stones for himself , which he hid  in a metal container near the beach. After being at Chameis for close to a year , he applied for  3 months leave to go and visit his relatives. While on leave he wrote a letter saying that he will not be coming back.
The prospector and a accomplice planed their landing near Chameis to be on a Sunday , low tide .  On December 21 , 1952  , security officer , and the newly appointed prospector no 2 came to the security supt , bringing with them the prospector and the pilot. They told the supt that they arrived on foot at the camp , stating that their plane had crashed near Chameis bay . about halfway up to Sudfells . The pilot told them that they started out from Luderitz ,  just after six the same morning . And that his Aircraft , an Auster Autocrat , had no radio, and that he had to fly low all along the coast to keep him on his route to cape town. But the fog became so low that he was clamped down , and thus forced to land . The incident  was then duly reported to the mine manager and the police.
The plane was found crashed   on some rocks propeller smashed and with some  damage to the under carriage. But the tracks told their own story. They made a perfect landing.  The plane was turned around and started to take off in a southerly direction  – just after it became airborne , the left wheel caught on a rocky outcrop .the pilot managed to keep the plane up , but lost control and they crash landed another 200 meters further on among   the rocks.
The diamond detective’s had another problem . no diamonds had been found on the men or on the plane. So the only crime they committed was trespassing in the sperrgebiet .  After they found out that the prospector  bought a fishing boat , and hired a skipper –  it was obvious that it was a alternative plan to ? something -  on Christmas eve , faced with all the evidence , the prospector showed the police where he hid the canister with diamonds .  the diamonds weighed in at 2276 carats
So instead of a celebration , the pilot and prospector  had to make do with prison food behind bars   
Ackn : they told me the story .  Peter – a surveyor . I forgot his surname  . security officer , nicknamed “ Camel “  can not recall his real name – but he had  transformed the hub of the propeller in a wall clock   , Uncle Frans Schneider . also Georg .Ruf ' s comment on page 1. I also phoned Gunther Machs . but his memory is failing . He remembered only little bits about the incident . He was still in Kolmann's when it happened
Note: I with hold the people ‘s real names , and just use  e.g  Pilot / Manager etc.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:24:31 AM by henniek »

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
Malcolm Bertoni . I am sure you can add a map of the area ?? I know wher Nortfells / Sudfells & Chameis bay is. but have no map . 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:32:18 PM by henniek »

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
another story- I just overheard it - after I asked the question why the days harvest is taken to the town's vault every afternoon . and not just leave it at the sorthouse vault .  / the answer was , true or not ? I can not say. but I heard there was a plan .. James Bond style. to set the tankfarm on fire. and when all the attention is there , break into the sorthouse  and take the diamonds - has anybody heard about this scheme ??

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
Hello, I was there in approximately 1976/77 The stories then were that model aeroplanes were banned, model boats were not allowed, and also carrier pigeons were forbidden. Best regards Derek

Hi Derek, I recall the Model Flying Club, situated north of the Mule Derby.

In the late 70's one could hear these planes buzzing around town on a Sunday morning, but they were not allowed to fly anywhere near the fences....

@Hennie, thanks for the tale, loved it....

I have scanned on my PC, the old German Colonial maps, they are way too large to upload here, each map being around 80 megs.... But I managed a screen print of the Chameis One, well part of it..... You will see Sudfells just at the top of the map, stretching down to the south....

I was in a meeting with certain mine folk about a month back, the power that be reckon that there are still areas up there that are of interest to the mine....

Offline Adriaan Van Rooyen

• Oranjemunder
  • There's Only One Western Province!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 07:45:38 PM »
henniek the story you named about the james bond style ..is true as it was allso told in those years Scope,early seventies i think just as you mentioned ...
There's Only One Western Province!

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
well , there you have it . Thanks Adriaan.  bravo
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:26:20 PM by henniek »