Author Topic: Looking for PPJ!  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Looking for PPJ!
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »
Passed onto me

"Hi Mike,

I went to Corene van Staden's mom's birthday party.

A old Oranjemunder was visiting and he says he spends time on your website.  He has been hoping to see something about an old policeman who used to do the rounds.  The cop was known as PPJ.  Dunno if you knew him.

Dennis  "
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
Re: Looking for PPJ!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:07:01 AM »
PPJ was Jacob Krugers father, he passed away some time ago and his wife Joey is living in George. Jacob browses through this site from time to time. I'll tell him to come online and answer this question more fully.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:42:10 AM »
Hi all,
       I have two good stories about PPJ who was the police sergeant in the Fifties and Sixties. As far as I can recall he lived in the police house outside the north gate with his wife and family. His little compound included a solitary jail cell which figures in my second story.
At one state management required all of us who had occasion to drive heavy duty trucks to get the appropriate licence. That applied to most artisans on the mine. To do so we had to pass a licence.
I duly swotted up the theory and called in at the Police Station to pass my test. PPJ simply stamped my form and handed me the licence. I was disappointed, being all amped up to do the test, and said so.
He was a man of few words. All he said was: "You drove here, didn't you. Now take your licence and drive back."

The second story happened a few years later. A divinity student (I kid you not) had a holiday job on the mine. Somehow or other he got access to diamonds and was reported having a pile in his room in the single quarters where he enjoyed playing with them.
Within hours he was in the police cell awaiting transport to Luderitz where a magistrate would bind him over without conviction and send him packing.
In the meantime PPJ pitched up for his evening meal at the usual time only to find it wasn't on the table. On querying his wife she told him: You will eat when that child (indicating the cell building outside) eats - at this table. And he also sleeps in this house tonight."
PPJ - the indomitable police sergeant, scourge of all wrong-doers, realising there were certain situations in which even the long arm of the law came second, folded immediately.
He got his meal. So did the student, and a comfortable bed for the night.
Regards,
Bob.
Bob Molloy

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
My daugter, Shannon is studying Forensic Accounting at Potch and over the course period various people pop in to give lectures etc....

For some odd reason they always ask for the students who are from Namibia.

Yesterday she dropped me a voice message, to say another person had asked about who was from Namibia.

he then asked her, "where in Namibia?" , she replied , "Oranjemund", and was astonished when he said that he was from Oranjemund.

Turns out this was PPJ Kruger's son....

Small world.

Offline mavis(smith)

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
PPJ Kruger was a lovely man xx

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
I never knew him, but he was quite a fair man and a wee bit of a legendary character!

Offline Leon Sumter

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi Omder's

''PPJ'' our favourite Policeman all those years ago and father to Jacob Kruger(Jakes),  is the 3rd gent from left looking over Tony Dunster (and wife's) shoulder.

So sad that Jakes passed on a few years ago. Tony and Terry Dunster also passed away a few years back within a few days of each other.

We remember Jakes, Terry, Clive, Pepe who all died so young.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
Thanks for that Leon!

Pipes were all the rage back in those days, recall Aubrey Baker as a pipe man!

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
Jacob [ jakes ] Kruger 1975 . PPJ 's son

Offline Leon Sumter

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
Jakes on his yellow Yamaha 125, Pepe kneeling in front, me on my green Honda 70, Andre Hanekom at rear on right.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »
Thanks for that Leon, all those long haired lovers from Liverpool,

sorriso2

Can you recall the price of one of those bikes back in the day?

Offline Leon Sumter

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
I have no idea what Jake's Yamaha cost, probably a small amount by today's standards. Remember in those days us appies were earning R85 a month depending upon your school and technical qualifications. My 50cc (illegal) bike was built up from bits and pieces I found lying around the appie single quarters. I put in a 70cc barrel and piston kit so it actually a 70cc Honda. The metallic green paint job was done at the Town Garage where I started off with my appieship. Were talking 47 years ago.