Author Topic: Oranjemund The Town I Loved So Well!  (Read 845 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Oranjemund The Town I Loved So Well!
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
So back in the Seventies & Eighties, My folks would sing/play a lot of Folk of Irish and Scottish Folk Music around the bar/Braai/kitchen .

I was listening to the words of one of those songs recently and it got me to thinking how even though the lyrics refer to the troubles in Northern Ireland, there were parts that had reference to my current situation where after forty odd years of living in Oranjemund, things were about to change, but the memories not...

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.oranjemundonline.com/video/Ottilsw.mp4

SIZE: 29.30 megs
PLAYTIME: 6 min 29 sec

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:28:47 AM by Michael Alexander »
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
Re: Oranjemund The Town I Loved So Well!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Thank you Michael for the pic and the video . I enjoyed .And as you mentioned . One thing that nobody can take from you is your memories.

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
Michael - a superb recording of the song " the town I loved so well " was done by Phil Coulter & singer Nathan Carter

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:03:56 AM »
We spent about 3 years in Orangemund (we that is Margaret and our two sons) and would have stayed longer. We were living in Durban and met two guys that told me about O/M never new there names but the experience from that meeting set us up for for life. I hold very fond memory's of that time we spent in The Diamond Desert Town Oranjemund!

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
So the town opened, a few people came in .... Saw a few tourist types wandering around the Spar, a lady from a tourism company mentioned that there was not that much to see in the town itself and that tourist would find it hard to justify half a day in the town...

The mass hyateria about bus loads of people pouring into the town failed to materialize ....

Will admit though, pretty nice not having to produce a keycard to enter...

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
So Michael the town is open doe's that mean anyone can jump on a airplane land in A/bay and I suppose hire a car and drive around ?........................because why I ask is the job I did in the boilermakers shop was to repair the Pebble Mills, and they would come strait from the plants up the coast to the B/Shop, then strip it down and renew the rubber liner plates my offside helper was an Ovambo and would frequently after we removed the old plates would lay out on my work bench a number of . There was a 45 gallon drum were the contents of the mill were deposited and when full would ring up the HMS plant and they would come and collect the said drum. So Michael if your post is correct expect to see me there in 48 hours we lived the end of 7th avenue, and you will recognize me I will have the Bundy bottle in my right hand and a big smile  numberone  :buffo9:   
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:49 AM »
Haha! Which end of 7th avenue?

Yep! No more security clearances, as for landing at Alexander Bay, the airport is no longer operational....

You had better bring your own Bundy mate!

image201

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »
Hi Michael! I think it was the last house on Seventh avenue number 41 or 47 that was in the seventies, looking east there was a tree line windbreak and if you walk North at the end of the tarred road  the sand started and you could walk up to the Flying Fox. Well its not there  image14  probable a few years ago the D/D would be all over this post. 

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Flying Fox?  This I have not heard of before.....

Tree line is still there, just a lot thinner....

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
In my last post I said the flying fox was  north of the house we lived in. In the sand dunes CDM built a platform and a pole with the wire stretching down to a post  about 500 meters (I think it could have been longer) to stop the kids smashing into this post there was a rubber tube about 4 meters at the end so as to stop them from injuring themselves. look in the video section I posted one a few years ago.

I love my little smiley love10