Author Topic: Jim Murray- WHat a blast from the past!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Jim Murray- WHat a blast from the past!
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
I just got a phone call from Jim Murray, who is currently residing in Joburg.....at least half and hour long...... Turns out Jim's wife found out about the site from somebody, went online, printed out the material for Jim and he is recalling a fe memories... So he phoned me to share a few...

Jim worked up at EBAY in 1964,65 and 66 doing survey work and diving. They were a team of four that stayed in the old GM's house. They also had a house in town opposite the magistrate. People he remembers, are characters like Gunther Machts, Iggy Van Gruenen, Ken, Dick Foster, Dicky Phillips, Koos the Handyman, Peggy ,Dirk Coetzee...to name a few.... Sorry I was scribbling notes as we spoke.... a few good tales, including a chap that stuck a stick of dynamite in the wall at Affenrucken, as he was upset about something, the cook, Dicky Phillips going crazy as the explosion knocked out half his kitchen...

Driving into the desert, gemsbok hunting..... Driving through to town for the odd dance, people keeoing diamonds on the mine in glasses of water as momento's.....

A story of a chap that was leaving town on leave and while at the old Xray, was asked by security what he had in his duffelbag, A Jakkal was the reply...Don't talk shit, take it out, it was indeed a baby jakkal, that ran around the xray for about an hour.....it was then taken to Cape Town where it was given to the lady who asked for it... she kept it for 2 years until the neighbours cats and birds started to go missing......

Whilest working up at ebay, they noticed a group of chaps wandering barefoot and bandaged across the desert pans, they took the landrover down to them, found out they had been shipwrecked.....

Rescued Tony Hockney at Chameis from drowning and drove him, unconscious to hospital In Oranjemund...

Jim did quiet a bit of diving up on this coast in the 60's, really dangerous work, rated as the 2nd most dangerous job in the world in those days, after being a test pilot.....

One day, Casey The Parrot escaped from the pub, flew away, Ol' Gunther Machts was having a quiet braai when Casey outta the Blue dropped onto Gunther's shoulder almost giving him a heart attack...

Anyhow...it was really awesome to share the memories with Jim, Thanks for the call.... Jim will try and post me a dvd WITH A  few images from those days.....

Love this site.....   giverose
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Jim Murray- WHat a blast from the past!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »
Well, wonders never cease, I received my 2nd phonecall from Jjim an hour ago, we spent over 40 minutes discussing various adventures Jim had in his days up at Ebay. These stories were as diverse as the Ghost at the GM's house (which I am looking for more info on), the pranks they pulled, the parties they went to, the weather work, graveyards and exploding Oil drums.... The Kapps hotel in Luderitz..... there is just so much material that this intriguing man has. I urged him to write a book on his adventures. He just laughed. If nobody writes the book, then I shall start within the next few months.These characters and stories cannot be lost to time, just as that Graveyard, at Ebay, was covered by the Namib's moving sands.....

Jim lives up at Alberton, if anyone up in that area is hoping to attend the Reunion in November and plans to drive down, Jim and his wife, Gloria might be interested in catching a lift with you...trust me, With Ol' Jim on board, you will not have  a boring drive....

History in motion.... Jim Murray....

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
Here's two photo's of Jim Murray up at Ebay in the mid 60's..... Life was still good even though the guys were far from civilization....

Offline Jeremy Dixon

• Oranjemunder
    • Dixon Marketing
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
Man wish I could hear some of those stories!

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »
YEp! A great Storyteller..... I was hoping he could make it for the reunion, but He is a pensioner and the rising fuel prices make it impossible for him....

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
@  Mike ..  maybe I missed the  boat .. but wheres the rest of the  ebay ghost story ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »
... nope... you are right, I have not got around to finishing it....  :nono1:

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
Is  that  a  peace offering ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
Nope, Not really...   :nono1:  This is though   giverose