Author Topic: Carrots Wilson  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Bev Burchell

• Oranjemunder
Carrots Wilson
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »
Anybody know what happened to "Carrots" Wilson from way back in the 70's early 80's? 

Offline Nicky Hodge

• Oranjemunder
Re: Carrots Wilson
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »

I don't know what happened to him Bev, but I do remember him. We had our tonsils out at the same time in the O/mund hospital. He was a lot older than me, and the nursing staff got quite angry, as he kept on smoking. I had forgotten all about him until now. Good luck with your search.

Offline barb (Fry)

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund born and bred. WGHS (1977-!981)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
Hi
wasn't he, Wayne Wilson the brother of Sharon, Lynette and Melanie. Parents Don and Sybil.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
If so, Melanie is registered on this site as       Melanie Honicke,

Was my next door neighbour when she was married to Kurt, the fastest athlete with a smoke in his mouth going down 5th avenue in 80's gear.... Boy were the braai's and parties never ending between their house and hours... E7-1st ave was never to be the same again!

;D
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Bev Burchell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
Ok its definately not Sharon's brother.... he was Wayne and I remember him.  Also not the son of Ben and Aurial Wilson.

This guy was older than me back then (1980) and I was only 19!!  I think he worked in Metallurgy.  He was just a really pleasant chap... his dad also hung out in Sportsman... quite a card he was!

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »
  Lots  of  names  escape  me  at the  moment  but  got  this ... His  dad  was  Dick Wilson   . His  mother I  remember  tall  attractive  with  red  hair  ... stayed  outer  side  of  the  crescent in 5th ave ....   Dick  was quite  a     hellraiser in  his  time  ( 70's )  hung  around  with  the  Clive  Mathe  ..  Konnyworrie etc  at  caseys ... one  night  I  was  on  duty  and  things  were  rolling  and  it  was  starting  to  resemble  what I  can only  call  a  budgie  cage .. lots  of  noise  and  the parrot  competing    for  a  word  in  edgeways ..  suddenly  Dick  pipes   up  ..  let  me  show  you  what  a  man  is !!   Silence  all  wait  and see ... he  rips  his  shirt  open  and  top  of  pants  ...  lies  himself  down  on  one  of  the  tables .. takes  out  a  lighter  and  sets  fire  to  his  chest  hair  with  disasterous  consequences .  .. it  took  fire  with  enthusiasm  that  nobody  could  imagine .. Whoosh  this  flame  running  up  his  body . him  trying  frantically  to  beat  out  the  flames  which  only  came to  an  end  when  the    hair   was  no  more ....   somebody  kindly  threw  a  drink  on  him  . most  probably  a  triple  which  did  not  do  too much  good  as  the  skin  was  tender .. needless  to  say  the  "let  me  show  you  what  a  man  is"  was   shocked  into  silence .. dont  know  how   he  explained  that  one  when  he  eventually  rolled  home  that  night ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Bev Burchell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
I remembered his name ... it was Richard Wilson!!  He really was a super person... would probably be about 50 now ... gosh how time flies!!

Offline Delia

• Desert Rat: 1964-1993 - best years of my life
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
I was in contact with his sister theresa about a year ago - her and i were best friends back then.  richard (carrots) is apparently living and working in mozambique - still not married.
The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your thinking.
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional" - Dalai Lama

Offline barb (Fry)

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund born and bred. WGHS (1977-!981)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
Not really relevant now but I also remembered Theresa today, they had an older sister who worked in the office block.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

Offline Richard Opperman

• Cape Town
  • Oranjemunder
  • Life Is A Marathon Not A Sprint !
    • www.amazipro.co.za
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:51:37 PM »
Her sister's name was Cheryl , who was in my class in primary school, she later went out with Terence Holland and was Diamond Queen one year.
My friend David Eyre's parents moved into Terence's parents house when they moved to another part of town.
Terence had drawn a large portrait of Cheryl on his Pondok wall. Very artistic.
Do you remember the Oranjemund Pondoks?
To this day when I play Led Zeppelin or any music of the late 60s and early 70s it reminds me of the pondok days.
OPS 1961-1968. Huguenot High 1969-1973.
Military Service Jan 1974-June 1975.
Worked in Oranjemund July 1975-March 1979.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'..holy sh*t ..what a ride!

Offline Keith Margetts

• Oranjemunder
  • Keith Margetts
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 09:46:51 PM »
I remember Cheryl . . . who wouldn't, as she was absolutely beautiful with her long blonde hair.  We live at the back of their house when ther were in Inner Crescant and we were on Outer Crescant.

Offline Adriaan Van Rooyen

• Oranjemunder
  • There's Only One Western Province!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
Hi Bev,i am not sure if it was 1983 0r 1984 when i took this Oranjemund Commando's up north.Our task was to protect the farmers in the Tsumeb area,and guess who we found on the most northen farm and as far as they could get him away from civvie street as possible, yeah you guessed right.........CARROTS,he nearly had a heartattack when he not only saw one Oranjemunder but a whole bloody platoon....needless to say the farmers dop account had quite a dent in it when we left....
There's Only One Western Province!