Author Topic: Working out....  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Dalene Steenkamp (Coetzee)

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
  • To be of service - not to be served!
Working out....
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Think I am up to spec again & healthy enough, so I started working out again today.  Boy oh boy  -  agony like none you know.  After doing nothing now for nearly 5 weeks, my muscles are complaining.  Unbelievable how your fitness level goes down within such short period! 

pls  think about me !     image031
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other cannot keep it from themselves.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
Re: Working out....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
what about poor me .. ?? almost a year and the bod crying for it .. just got to get back to routine ..
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »
I think tomorrow morning when I go to the gym, I'm first gonna sit there for 10 mins to pluck up the courage to get my muscles working again.......     hammer    but, it's good for the    sexydance   and best for the grey matter between the ears to do a good workout, so....

164   Gonna stammer off to bed now to get a good night's sleep, before I start the self inflicted torture again.
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »
That's a touchy subject for me at this stage.  Really need some exercise as well, but the easiest excuse - I don't have time to go to the gym!
I know, no excuse, I'll just have to force myself.  Even if it's just a nice fast walk around the block, I'll have to do SOMETHING! image071
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline DUNJA WRBKA

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1978-1984
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:49 AM »
Yeah I agree.  I handle the stresses of the office far better whilst I am excercising.  But hey, I would also actually prefer to be a couch potato chocolate-51 instead.. 
Don't sweat the small shit!

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »
Yes, I'm not really one for a gym myself.  I tend to convince myself that the gardening I do is enough exercise!

Last week I played 3 games of darts with friends - the next day my arm was so sore - as if I did a lot of exercise!  Shows you, the muscles need some exercise!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »
 woo_hoo   -  Feeling a little better again today on the apparatus, but still  -  muscles complain.   What an effort to do just 15mins again on the spinning bike  -  my goodness!  You would say that I have been out of action for a year.

Anyways  -  wish me good luck.  I think by next week I will be faring much better already.

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Me...I'm going vacuum the house to-morrow.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »
Hell, Diana, that's one workout that I detest!  Vacuuming & window washing  -  I avoid it like the black pest.  It tires me more than 2 hours in the gym.  Same goes for ironing  -  no joke, I would rather spit out the whole garden with a kitchen fork than stand behind the ironing board. 

Good luck for you  -  somehow you always find a R5 or R2 piece lying about for your "spaarvarkie" when vacuuming.  Ja   -  whatever  -  what a massive pay for all the hard work. 

How come nobody ever appreciate that kind of job you do?  They just sort of think that the house stays clean all by itself and dust never sifts in from anywhere  etc etc. 

Housework  -  nah  -  not my kind of workout!  Does not relax my brain  -  puts me to think about what bloody ungratefull job it is and adds to stress levels.

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
AND I do all that with a 3yr old running around.....you all think I sit here on the computer all day while the  fantasy-18 pop by....let me tell you.... 23_146_26 . Now you've got me going Daleen.  Let me have a glass  drinking-41 and  poledancing1  to calm me down.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
Diana, you done with all the chores & taking a well deserved tea break?

Worst thing I forgot to mention  -  just as you have finished washing the kitchen floor, someone decides it's a good time to get thirsty or hungry and leaves footmarks all over your wet floor.......    witch-43   that's what I turn into instantly.

Dishes just done and put away  -  everyone starts piling them up on the sinc again within 2 mins    ......   image21

:nono1:   Me no good housewife   -  I'll stick to the gym.  When I get back home & everything is turned upside down, lucky for everyone else I am too tired to fullfill the murder plot that comes to mind about the mess!

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »
lucky for everyone else I am too tired to fullfill the murder plot that comes to mind         image201   
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Ineke Brunner

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »
here i am thinking that everybody in south africa or oranjemund have a help in the house like the old days. I can't remember my mom ever doing any housework. I thought that this was the choice i made. (back to holland doing all the housework myself) haha It is a releave to hear that you all have to do the same things i do. phhew. All of a sudden it does not all sound bad anymore.  image201

Offline Paula Gottsch (Willson)

• Oranjemunder
  • Hi everyone!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
I know what you mean Dalene, when I am done washing the kitchen floor if anyone comes near it while it's still wet I say " don't walk on that floor if you value your life!"

trex-073

Offline Delia

• Desert Rat: 1964-1993 - best years of my life
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
I've been doing Hatha Yoga for the past 3 months and even though it's more a spiritual thing than anything else, done properly it gives you a bit of workout too without you even knowing it, strengthening the body.  Its principles are to synchronise the breath (pranayama) with the postures (asanas) to get the life force/energies (chi) flowing properly thereby opening up energetic blockages but some of the postures themselves are quite strenuous and you feel strains in muscles you didn't even know you had. I can already feel the benefits mentally, spiritually and physically. The overall therapeutic benefits of yoga are well documented in all the literature out there on the subject.

I'm not one for a gym, too impersonal, too noisy and too much competition flying around with flexing of muscles by some to impress - besides yoga at a gym is just another form of exercising, there's no real focus. Where i do it is at The Zen Studio in Table View where the focus is on the principles of yoga focusing on mind, body and soul holistically.  There's only about 8 of us any given time so it's personal, with gentle meditation type music in the background and incense burning to stimulate the senses.  We always end with a short relaxation and meditation. Awesome stuff, don't know how i went without it before, wish i'd gotten into it loooooooooong ago, it really gets me through my week. I find i'm able to tackle the daily stresses of life easier as i'm more focused and clear headed knowing that i can't control what comes my way, but i can control how i choose to react to them..........

Caryn says i float home on a cloud after my yoga sessions.......
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:26:09 PM by Delia »
The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your thinking.
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional" - Dalai Lama