Author Topic: MSG - THE STORY  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
MSG - THE STORY
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
MSG – Monosodium glutamate

MSG is a chemical added to countless processed foods to enhance flavor.  It has no flavor of its own, but tells your brain through receptors and chemical reactions that the food tastes better.  It is an “excitotoxin” – a type of chemical transmitter that allows brain cells to communicate (especially the area of the brain where taste, hunger, etc is seated – the hypothalamus).  Neuroscientists generally agree that it is a neurotoxin and that it can actually excite your brain to death!  I know that sounds a bit harsh, but that’s how it’s supposedly causing damage.  The worrying fact is that it has a greater effect in young cells, or when the brain is still developing and the barrier between the brain and the blood is not fully developed – in our babies and young children! 

Conditions that may be linked to the effects of MSG, include the following:

Headaches, Migraines, Learning disabilities, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), certain Psychiatric conditions, Depression, Loss of vision/retina damage, Obesity, Fatigue and Heart irregularities (tachycardia – heart beats quicker than normal).

Hidden names of MSG:

MSG has many aliases and labels can be misleading (or simply doesn’t tell the whole truth).  For instance, I saw a bottled marinade the other day.  It says on the label: “No added MSG”.  Well, when I looked at the ingredients, it already contained 3 ingredients that have loads of MSG on their own!  So, they didn’t add any, it was simply already there!

Ingredients that ALWAYS contain MSG –
Glutamate, Monosodium glutamate, Textured protein, Hydrolyzed protein, Calcium caseinate, Gelatin, Yeast extract, Autolyzed yeast.

Ingredients that OFTEN contain MSG or forms it during processing –
Flavorings, Seasonings, Stocks, Soy sauce, Soy protein, Soy isolate, Worcester sauce, Malt extract/flavoring, Whey protein, Rice syrup, Maltodextrin, Powdered milk, Pectin, Caramel flavoring, Carrageenan, Bouillon, Salad dressings, Frozen meals, Packaged soups/sauces, Anything “protein fortified / Enzyme modified / Ultra-pasteurized”.

Numbers to be wary of on labels are those that begin with “E6…”  Glutamate containing additives are usually found from “E620” to “E635”.  MSG's specific number is E621.

The way to go – Choose as many fresh products as possible, and become familiar with the hidden names of MSG and the products they are usually found in.
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline DUNJA WRBKA

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1978-1984
Re: MSG - THE STORY
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
WOW!!! What an eye opener..  Thanks for this Bertie.  Have always just concentrated on checkin the lables for MSG but had no idea that the manufactures have become very very clever to hide it  idontknow

Most certainly a VERY worthwhile topic to read.   :emot112_2:

T H A N K    Y O U !   3d smiles(281)
Don't sweat the small shit!

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1975 - 1981 , Centaurus 1982 - 1984
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »
Thanks for this one Bertie. Another interesting topic would be on Aspertimine(spelling). Its that artificial sweetner added to diet cooldrinks and sweets. I believe there have been some fatalities overseas allready?

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:20:49 AM »
@ Dunja & Carl - Glad you like the info.

Yes Carl, Aspartame has also been in the tug-o-war regarding good/bad foods.  Also a lot of controversy, and I'll post a new topic on that soon.  I'll appreciate any ideas for topics which can be PM'ed to me, and I'll see if there's something I have info/knowledge on!

Just one thing to keep in mind - You may find literature on MSG (or any other of the foods/additives in question) that states the total opposite to what I've written.  It is important however to look where the literature comes from, or who sponsors the research.  You'll probably agree that it's highly unlikely that a research project regarding the safety of MSG sponsored by a fast food chain for instance would be very objective!  So, I tend to lean towards the "safe" side, and it's up to the reader to make up his/her own mind.  This doesn't mean I'm a total health freak - I love my braaied meat, occasional fast food, sweeties, etc, but will keep it in mind when I have a choice between two evils in the store!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1975 - 1981 , Centaurus 1982 - 1984
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »
 image201  Ya, like Mac Donalds sponsoring "teenage obesity"research in the US.

Offline Michele Alexander (Voden)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1981 - present LOCATION:Oranjemund
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »
Very interesting but scary stuff - it's amazing how they just disguise the name so the product doesn't appear contain MSG!

image14
OPS 1982-1988, RHENISH 1989 - 1993

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »
So thats why I am overweight then...Bloody Msg.... well thats me of the MSG...gotta try lose weight.......   woo_hoo
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988