Author Topic: World Premiere in Oranjemund  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
World Premiere in Oranjemund
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
Now this I found interesting, anyone know anything more?
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline joco Mueller

• Oranjemunder
  • 1rst polonymaker in town 1957-65
Re: World Premiere in Oranjemund
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
George Magnus was the operator in charge of the new cinema.Phil Bruce pls Public Relation Officer, at least untill I left CDM in May 1965.Phil had a well trained voice and also gave his voice for another film (8mm) about Oranjemund-town and the mine,mainly filmed by George for the Iinternational Mining Congress in Jo'burg, I think in 1964.With the assistance of a few others(one of them was Jack Wilson,the Retail Store Manager at that time) we did  many trips to the mine where I recorded the sound efects with a tape recorder which we then used for this film.Only  a few minutes before the first guests came in from Jo'burg we  finished synchronising,after many flops,starting over and over again- spending all night.----------- Due to the good result we George and me were asked by the management to film the installation of the fuel pipeline.Can tell quite a story about the near failure. Again I was busy with one of my tape recorders,George recorded all this again on 8 mm film. I take it that Phil then produced this documentery film with the assistance of George and using my sound effects.This must have been after I left I also take it that it was again synchronised with a german synchroning gadget.A tape recorder was governing the projector via this gadget , using a special tape (thicker and a rough texture),this was the only - most modern (optical sound tracks unknown for 8mm) - way at that time. From what I heard , Wally de Pinto may also have had his fingers  in it,he was the secretary of the Cine Club at that tme.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:49 AM »
Interesting Joco, I wonder where all those films went to?

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »

Don't remember the film but I remember seeing the Tanks nearly every day.

The storage tanks were situated on the dunes on the left hand side of
Central Fields as you entered the complex.

There were three markers one in front  one north and one marker south
when the tanker lined up with these a diver was sent down to connect the pipe line.

I have some film of them somewhere...................................Frank

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Chris Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:10:23 AM »
The oil pipeline construction was filmed on land by George Magnus and from the sea by my father, Phil Bruce. Dad traveled to Port Nolloth to join the Sea Piper, a cable pulling vessel which pulled the "sea plough" out to sea, digging a trench in the sand along the way in which the pipeline was buried. Dad wrote the script and recorded  the voice-overs in a Cape Town studio. The film was first shown in Oranjemund before being sent to Johannesburg and show there. It was considered good enough to be submitted to the industrial film section of the Cannes Film Festival where it won third prize but so far as I know neither George nor my father received any recognition for their work from Johannesburg head office.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
Chris, thanks for that interesting bit of the mines history, one can assume that somewhere in a basement there should be a copy of the film?