Author Topic: Kempie where and who  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Kempie where and who
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »
Who is Kempie talking to? Where is the function?
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
Re: Kempie where and who
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
Might be up north somewhere.........
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"

Offline Alfred Boehme

• Oranjemunder
  • 1966 and counting
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
It's a Clay Target event could be
Mariental
Windhoek
Swakop
Otjiwarongo

Offline linda-murrell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
It is a Gun Club event in Otjiwarongo around 1980 and Kempie is talking to little Louis. Louis was a Mauritian married to Poppy who was Italian. Louis worked in one of the machine-shops and he machined a new extractor from a chrome-vanadium spanner to fit my 9mm semi-auto that had begun to jam with the dodgy Czech ammunition that was so common at the time. It fitted and worked better than new.

The trip was to a farm outside Otjiwarongo where the owner had a shooting range and bar and that photo was taken in the open air bar one evening after we had finished shooting. If you look at page 2 of "Linda & Kevin Murrell's Pics ~ Gun Club" there are a few more pics of the trip.

Boetie Groenwald (GC Chairman) had organised the trip and there were about 20 of us on the trip, including couples and single guys. We had borrowed the Rec. Club bus and Boetie had got his guys in the carpenters workshop to remove the last few rows of seats and install a bar complete with optics and cool boxes to make the journey more (..cough..) comfortable.

It was a brilliant trip.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
Was this Louis that you mention, married and lived at E2-1st Avenue with two daughters? Jackie and Shanti?

Offline linda-murrell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:57:25 PM »
 Hi Michael,

Their surname was Lecornu and when we first arrived in Oranjemund in '78 they were living at E12-2nd. They did indeed have two daughters Jackie and Chantelle (Shanti) and their third Nicolette was born shortly after. For some reason, after Nicolette began to crawl and then stand (on her first birthday while holding onto a coffee table and trying to stab the cat with a fork) she took a shine to me and wanted to climb on my knee whenever I was around. Always happy, never heard her cry and forever sucking on a stick of biltong or droŽwors. I lost count of the number of times she stuffed a soggy offering into my ear or mouth.

At the time of Nicolette's first birthday Poppy was already pregnant again, Louis had always wanted a son but they decided that if the fourth wasn't a boy then it just wasn't going to happen. Luckily, little boetie Louis arrived just before we came back to Blighty.

Here's a photo of them all together (with Poppy's mum) in 1984.

Offline Alfred Boehme

• Oranjemunder
  • 1966 and counting
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
1984 Started my appie  days

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »
Hi Michael,

Their surname was Lecornu and when we first arrived in Oranjemund in '78 they were living at E12-2nd. They did indeed have two daughters Jackie and Chantelle (Shanti) and their third Nicolette was born shortly after. For some reason, after Nicolette began to crawl and then stand (on her first birthday while holding onto a coffee table and trying to stab the cat with a fork) she took a shine to me and wanted to climb on my knee whenever I was around. Always happy, never heard her cry and forever sucking on a stick of biltong or droŽwors. I lost count of the number of times she stuffed a soggy offering into my ear or mouth.

At the time of Nicolette's first birthday Poppy was already pregnant again, Louis had always wanted a son but they decided that if the fourth wasn't a boy then it just wasn't going to happen. Luckily, little boetie Louis arrived just before we came back to Blighty.

Here's a photo of them all together (with Poppy's mum) in 1984.

Hi Linda, Thanks for the memory blast, we lived at E7-1st Ave  and I remember being friends with Jacki and Shanti, I am almost 100% sure they lived on the corner house which would have made their address E1-2nf Avenue or E2-1st Avenue, at that stage, their neighbours might have been John and Barbara Wallace (not too sure)

Whatever happened to Jacki and Shanti?

Offline linda-murrell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:32:06 PM »
Hi Michael,

unfortunately we lost contact with Louis and Poppy not long after that photo was taken. Probably because we were moving around a bit once we got back to UK. There is a Louis Lecornu on Facebook who appears to be the right age for Louis Junior, living in Gordon's Bay (with a sister called Jacqueline). Might be worth emailing him to see if he is an ex-Oranjemunder?

PS.
I have an Oranjemund telephone directory from Sept. '79 in excellent condition that shows their address as E12-2nd but that could be wrong. If someone can find the time to scan it and post it to the forum I'll send it gratis.

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 07:54:39 AM »
You are correct Linda, there is a Louis Lecornu, who I believe is a car mechanic and is an ex O'munder living in Gordon's Bay
I cannot remember him from O'mund but I was outside my house one day when he drove by and saw the Oranjemund number plates on my car, so we had a good chat but haven't seen him for a while though............
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a