Author Topic: Advise and Help....  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
Advise and Help....
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
Something that has held my interest for quite some time - tracing my family tree...I have started with my moms side and to date I have traced back to the 1700's..........but now some wonderfull items have been found - while at my mom & dads for the weekend I was lucky enough to get my hands on some documents from our family history - among these items was a letter written from America in 1857 - yep! you read the date correctly; another document I have is dated 1870 and it from my great-grandfather starting his apprenticeship - it was all the rules and conditions that went along with him being given this oppertuninty..........I had to laugh while reading it.........in fact I'm going to quote parts of it:

Blah! Blah! Blah!...........He shall not commit fornication, nor contract matrimony within said term...........blah! blah! blah!.........He shall not play at cards, dice tables or any other unlawful games.........blah! blah! blah!..........He shall not haunt nor use taverns, ale-houses or play-houses, nor absent himself from his masters service day or night ..........blah! blah! blah!

Isn't that just amazing - anyway that is only a touch on the documents; letters and literature that I have - my question is - is there anyone who can advise me on the best way to copy this information as I feel a modern day photocopier will cause damage to these items; also what would be the best way to store these papers? Thanks guys........... 

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Advise and Help....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
You should use Pixie dust!

image201
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »
  image281 Pixie dust will destroy the quality of the work..........some of these documents are over 150 years old

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »
Gee..... thats almost as old as Diana....   laughpoint  I sent you a PM...
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder from 1973 till 1979.... OPS:73 - 76St. Pauls College: 77 - 78
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »
Sounds like he must'ver been a carpenter.
It's getting very popular in Germany for carpenters to travel in the time they are learning. Depending on which group theybelong to,  there are strict rules simular to the ones your grandpa had.  Some for eg are not allowed to work for money or live in a proper house.
If the guys don't stick to the rules they get kicked out of their group.
We call this "Wanderschaft".
Nothing special. Just some clips I put in youtube.de
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigbug74&search_type=&aq=f
Please comment! It may help promote our volleyball-club.

Offline georgswa (Georg Ruf)

• Georg Ruf known as George 3 Plt Electric
  • Oranjemunder
  • Mai 1973- Nov 1979, Players, Camera Club
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
@ Rhona

I think a scanner will do no damage

Depending how good a camera you have, you can take pictures, in my case they are as good or better then scans

A Librarian may know some tricks too

Good luck

Wish i had papers like that from my dad, he also went through that " Wanderschaft " called Waltz
Were ever they arrived at an artisans place, they were given Bed and Food and they could work there for a while

Very strikt rules, my dad was a shoemaker....
Regards Georg Ruf Stuttgart Germany
My video channels:
http://www.livevideo.com/Georgswa 
http://georgswa.ning.com/
My Homepages
http://www.dersofaladen.de/home/
http://www.dersofaladen.de/georg/html/home2.html
Win Live Mess:........ ageorgruf@aol.com
Liv

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1975 - 1981 , Centaurus 1982 - 1984
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »
My dad used to restore photos for people in OM. Like Snr mentioned previously, you can take a high quality pic of the document or photo and then you can play around with a picture editor to remove unwanted lines or scratches.

In the old days my dad had to physically remove the imperfections by hand. After taking a picture of the photo to be restored, he would develop and print the picture on matt photo paper. Imperfections were removed by means of a soft black pencil and some other technique he invented. He had a 100% success rate.

I think it's much easier nowdays to do it in Photoshop or something similar.

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Need advice and help. Problem . I have a DVD that I want to clean up . It is just speech . male voice . Problem was that the person with the Video camera stood next to a fan , thus adding a whirrr noise at about 40% the loudness of the person speaking. Is there a editing program available to clean up , and then make a acceptable copy of the original ?

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
@ Mike A.....    :culo1:    drinking-41
So Georg I guess with a maiden name Like " Bohme"  with those umlaat thingy's... my grandfather must have cut the wood for Rhona's family to work with and I suppose we didn't even have a house or a group to get thrown out of.    image031
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
Hi Hennie,

It all depends how much the DVD recording is worth to you. I'm not sure of any editing software available to the general public, but there are "professional" sound studios out there that would definitely be able to clean up the audio track on the DVD for you. What they do is sample the noisy audio into a mixer and introduce a noise signal of reverse polarity to cancel out the offensive "wirr" sound.

The overseas TV studios followed the same process during our 2010 world cup to edit out the vuvazela background noise.

Like I said, its up to you to decide, as the whole process could be a bit pricey.

Offline Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
Try these free programs to clean up your sound....  I have never used them myself... ..

http://mp3.about.com/od/essentialsoftware/tp/bestaudioeditors.htm
http://www.tubetorial.com/how-to-clean-up-audio-with-audacity/
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
Thank you Carl & Mike. I will try it out and give you feedback . Years ago in the windows 2000 era, there was a program called  "cool edit " used for cleaning recordings of the crackeling sounds introduced from scratches & also from white noise hiss from your old 78 's or cylinder grammophone records . but of course the later versions eg. windows 7 does not accept the program 

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
No problem, let us know how it goes. Once you've gotten the knack of these editing programs it becomes second nature. Then again, you have to have the patience to sit down and learn all the tricks first. I normally just dive into the deep end first and after struggling a while give it up as a bad job...lol

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
I since found that the program audacity works nicely on audio , but can not handle dvd. now trying to seperate audio and video , to edit the problem audio . Thanks for the advice . will keep you posted re progress.

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
Most modern DVD encoders unfortunately include the audio as part of the video data in one file with a .vob suffix. You will find this file under the root directory of your DVD disk in a folder called VIDEO_TS.

If your audacity program can separate the .vob file into its two separate components then your job is halfway done. After editing the audio you will need to merge it again with the video data into a new .vob file. This is where it might get tricky. By editing the audio you will most probably have shortened the audio track by a few Mb. After merging the new audio data with the video you might now find that the two are no longer in sync. The resulting effect is the same as those poorly dubbed and synchronized Chinese kung-fu movies from the early 80's and 90's.