Author Topic: Tik Monster  (Read 8201 times)

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
Tik Monster
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
 Read today on the front cover of a community  newspaper  a tragic story .. a family in Mitchels Plein  coming out about their son who is a " Tik Monster "  Now I have experience here .. I helped a friend through early stages of addiction to Tik .. and from my experience and my personal  deep belief .. drugs and especially  the newer  insidious  drugs such as Tik  are the devils gateway to erode  and destroy   decent  norms  of society  and get a hold ..  >>>>>>
Anyhow the family was giving their story of how their son escaped  from rehab  in PE  managed to get down to CT again  and now just lies around at home stealing off his family  to get his next fix , bullying them .. in fact they has the whole home in a grip of terrror ...
The general attitude of mother and kids is they ashamed to have him as a sibling .. but the fathers  plea left me gobsmacked .. he  said .. " my son needs a wife  she will bring him to his senses " what planet is this man living on ??? .. all that will happen is the problem will be  transfered .. he would . if any woman was so crazy or  into rescue complex  to get involved  never mind marry .. bully her strip her  of all possesions and her dignity ... Tik addicts have no conscience ,, their  normal pleasure receptors  are rewired by the drug to only accept the pleasure of Tik .. so nothing else matters .. beg " borrow ' steal  murder .. just to get the next hook up .. I'm still tryng to process the fathers convoluted thinking .???  he wears a tea towel on his head ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
Re: Tik Monster
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:47:26 PM »
Truely a Monster,I have not had any contact with Tic addicts but know of a few heroin addicts. As Sandy says the logic of this guys parents baffles me,but then I suppose it's the only way they know how,(or rather how they think).
All I say is "There but by the grace of God go I". I thank God I've managed to bring up my children to this point without any major problems, and don't foresee that there should be any, but as they say never say never.
There's this strange guy (about 23) that sometimes wonders up and down infront of the shops on our circle,he doesn't say a word,doesn't ask for money just walks up and down looking at the ground all day. Everytime I see him I want to make it all better....his somebodies son.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder from 1973 till 1979.... OPS:73 - 76St. Pauls College: 77 - 78
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
Read today on the front cover of a community  newspaper  a tragic story .. a family in Mitchels Plein  coming out about their son who is a " Tik Monster "  Now I have experience here .. I helped a friend through early stages of addiction to Tik .. and from my experience and my personal  deep belief .. drugs and especially  the newer  insidious  drugs such as Tik  are the devils gateway to erode  and destroy   decent  norms  of society  and get a hold ..  >>>>>>
Anyhow the family was giving their story of how their son escaped  from rehab  in PE  managed to get down to CT again  and now just lies around at home stealing off his family  to get his next fix , bullying them .. in fact they has the whole home in a grip of terrror ...
The general attitude of mother and kids is they ashamed to have him as a sibling .. but the fathers  plea left me gobsmacked .. he  said .. " my son needs a wife  she will bring him to his senses " what planet is this man living on ??? .. all that will happen is the problem will be  transfered .. he would . if any woman was so crazy or  into rescue complex  to get involved  never mind marry .. bully her strip her  of all possesions and her dignity ... Tik addicts have no conscience ,, their  normal pleasure receptors  are rewired by the drug to only accept the pleasure of Tik .. so nothing else matters .. beg " borrow ' steal  murder .. just to get the next hook up .. I'm still tryng to process the fathers convoluted thinking .???  he wears a tea towel on his head ??

True words Sandy.
The problem is, the home in which the fellow got "sick" won't understand him That's normal. So the parents won't be helping. It only works if the family as a whole take advantage of help. But most important of all is, that the boy must see his wrong doing for himself. He has to make the decision of wanting to change something in life.
That's tough and works so seldom.
Nothing special. Just some clips I put in youtube.de
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigbug74&search_type=&aq=f
Please comment! It may help promote our volleyball-club.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »
Too true  Jnr .. it  has to be the decision of the  addict to change things ..  like this  friend  told me ..  nothing else  could  give him pleasure  except Tik .. it had in  fact rewired him .. it took a  car accident to  get him on the  path to  wanting to change  .. and  that was  just early stages of addiction .. + - 2 months   from  having some socially ..  which although early  is  for  most too  late as theres no  way  back  unless   they accept   their  personal  responsibility  and  they  have the  resolve  to  change ..

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
You wont believe how big the problem is.  My GP friend here in Kuilsriver does urine tests on kids regularly, and within minutes the result - TIK.  Young kids, average between 10-14 years.  The parents bring them in, because they are "not the same" as usual, or have sudden changes in attitude/behavior.  It's scary, very scary.  To think, it is permanent damage, especially the nervous system,  from the very first "fix".  Sad.
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
Diana .. my sentiment .. Its someones child .. and yes we wish we could make better ... Paul and i tried with one  young character  who has fallen off the edge of the world .. he used to come around selling lighters etc for money for the shelter ,, John took a soft spot for him .. and after Johns  passing we thought well lets try  and help him get a sense of self worth  and back  on his feet .. we treid to get him into the shelter reintegration  program , via their social  worker network .. I mean  what is an afrikaner boy from Worcester doing wandering the streets of CT ??  surely he got parents and family ?? ??  It seemed to work for a while  .then he dodged  counselling .. then he got a job .. but leaned on us ..  I offered for him to odd jobs around house .. just never seemd to be  able to pitch .. eventually we showed him the road .. told him  that unfortunately it appeared he was engineer and architect of his  situation and  ended up taking advantage of a friendly helping hand offered .. sadly so still see him  wandering  around  looking  tattier and tattier each time .. My strong suspicion is drugs ..onlys olace is  we  trie .. and yes our  consciences are clear .. we can with hindsight of experience say   .. go away Im not listening  to any stories ..

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
Sandy - what is TIK?
I have grasped that it is a drug of some sort or other - but are we talking heroin; cocaine; E-tabs........what?  idontknow

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »
@ Rhona    I'll leave Sandy to explain TIC to you.
The MONSTER has a firm strong hold on these people,. I do believe that initially they appreciate the help offered by the likes of Sandy and Paul and the intention is to  change their ways but sadly it is most often the MONSTER wins. 
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
Rhona .. Known as crystal meth .. called Tik is SA .. do a search using the name crystal meth .. its ravaged the cape flats destroying families  and the users ,, its highly addictive ..  do the search and read on  its awful  reading ..

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »
Thanks Guys - I'm wide to the name 'Crystal Meth'..........  image14

bobbysmith

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 12:31:18 AM »
ICE BABY ICE,,the evils of ice i can tell you about,ive dealt with phet heads,smack heads call them what you want,i would like to put my cards on the table and say this,they are dirty ,lo life scum bags,should in my opinion be sent away to an island for months if not years to cure the cravings for that shit.ive dealt with the two faced bastards long enough to know that no matter how much money the so called experts throw at the problem,it wont be solved until the supply is halted,border controlls and tough policing,f**k all this human rites issue,what about the human rites of the victims,they leave a trail of misery in their quest for a better high,get them away from decent folk,time will tell,retrabution will become an every day word,then how are leaders goimg to solve that one,with violence,if so,do it now,against the drug crazed minority

Offline Donald Duck

• Oranjemunder
  • Kenny Ramage
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 06:32:58 AM »
 Amy Winehouse Before and Now.....

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
The  skeletal picture pretty much sums up the effects ...

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Agreed Bobby .. the island  therapy .. far away from the source and a long time of detox and abstinence appears to be the only answer for the majority of people who get hooked on these newer modified  hectically addictive drugs .. as for the lowlife part .. well a good majority of people that get hooked come from decent backgrounds and tragically so become lowlife once the drug takes hold , strips them of their humanity  and decency .. sadder so is the root cause is the drug culture that has emerged .. when we were teens  it was well yes maybe daring to dabble with drugs .. but socially acceptable ?/ Definitely no !! in this  age  one   goes to clubs or parties and there are people some openly snorting coke ( so glamorous ?? not so when it eats up the sinus's and your nose collapses ) others  disapearing to do their crack  or  meth or whatever .. all so "glamorous " .. and thats where a lot  of it goes wrong for some .. an innocent social hit on the drug and bang ! some are hooked  from the word  go ..
I recall an IT supplier of ours .. This guy was brilliant clever , and got his little company up and running  , provided  solutions and programs that served us well .. he was on the way  up ... then I started  noticing that something was not right ..  he became less reliable , did not keep appointments etc ..I still spoketo him one day  and asked .. whats wrong ?? " No everything  wonderful " ( its amazing how an addict can create a  new  reality )  I went to his home one sat morning to get an update disc .. home looked shabby ... wife distant ... 
A month or two later it all came out .. his one business partner had him booked into rehab .. his wife left him .. he came out of rehab .. looking ok .. but was never the same .. his hit ( crack cocaine ) had made a big hole  where his soul used to be , his creative spark destroyed , a shell of a human being just existing and going through the motions of living .. I could not  do business with him anymore .. I dont trust zombies ..
Even more scary  was the  so called " soft " drug  Ecstacy .. you walked into some clubs  or  so called " raves ' where use was rife .. as a non user you felt as though you were transported to  another planet and they were all alien life form .. they seemed to have this " chemical bond ' ...  For some their weekend was a chemical void .. start friday evening ... eat carefully .. then an hour or two before hitting the clubs .. take the  necessary .. so that they could  arrive   primed and ready .. party the night away .. then for the diehards  party well into the day ... evry now and again just topping up with another  magic E .. for some it was well into saturday night .. then home .. take the downers and knock yurself out  and wake up on sunday evening .. prepare for the week .. what a waste ??
 I recall on the news the one day .. this one rave party .. the organisers  even had a paramedic  tent set up ..  It was like the  comrades marathon of  drug taking ?? I mean they have  paramedic tents at the  Argus  ride .. the Comrades .. any major sporting event .. well the organisers had done the same .. like  as if to say  " Oh well its par for the course .. ?? Huh !!

Offline Delia

• Desert Rat: 1964-1993 - best years of my life
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »
@ Diana - that youngster u mentioned walking around permanently head down looking at the ground - i think i know who u talking about - he wanders around table view, from one end to the other - if it's the same guy, i often see him up by us walking the streets and hanging around merlot square - about a year ago my sister and her friend got chatting to him at the petrol station, very sad story - basically he's lost everything in life, the saddest being his entire family as well thru some tragedy - they took him in, cleaned him up, bought him new clothes, fed him and even organised a job for him - they saw a spark in him which they tried to nurture to help him up and out of the streets - he pitched for the job for the first few days and then disappeared, never to be seen again..................who knows why someone would prefer to be on the streets than lift themselves up when given the opportunity. When he was at their place, i happened to go around one evening (didn't know he was there) - he's soft spoken, gentle and i saw that spark in his eyes for myself which they saw in him.........my heart goes out to those who just can't find that motivation and desire to pick themselves up...........i suppose it'll happen in it's own good timing, when he's ready. I didn't get the feeling there was drugs involved back then, maybe now, i don't know............just so sad..........as you said Diana "there but for the Grace of God go I"............
The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your thinking.
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional" - Dalai Lama