Author Topic: Politics in SPort....  (Read 667 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Politics in SPort....
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:19:44 AM »
From an article on the Protea's Vs England.... makes one angry how politics has managed to chase away some good players....

"Kevin Pietersen marked his first Test innings against South Africa – the land of his birth – with a commanding 104 not out as England regained the initiative at Lord’s overnight.

England were 3-309 at stumps on the first day of the first Test, having been 3-117 not long after Pietersen came to the crease.

And England’s position might have been worse had not South Africa missed a chance to run out Pietersen before he had scored.

But come the close they were on top, especially as South Africa captain Graeme Smith had decided to field after winning the toss in the opening match of this four-Test series.

Ian Bell initially led the fightback with some stylish shot-making before becoming more of a support act. However, at the close he was 75 not out, his unbroken stand with Pietersen worth 192 in 46 overs.

“What a day, coming to the ground was a very emotional day for me,” said Pietersen.

“It’s my first Test match against South Africa and to walk away with 104 is one the most special days of my career so far.”

South Africa’s pace attack was wayward in the first session, with Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini and Morne Morkel all bowling too short and wide before lunch.

The 28-year-old Pietersen remains a controversial figure in his homeland after his decision to turn his back on South Africa because of the country’s racial quota selection policy."
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Sheena

• Oranjemunder
Re: Politics in SPort....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »
Mike,
This is a sad, sad story, but unfortunately all sport codes have major politics.  We even see it in bowls.
Some time ago in the Republikein they had a letter from someone complaining that money is always awarded to certain sport codes in Namibia and these sport codes never bring back any medals.  The smaller sport codes bring back medal and are awarded no funds from the Sport Council.  An example was when we travelled to New Zealand for World Bowls in January.  The only thing we got from Sport Council were Bank Windhoek t-shirts and that was that.  All the funds had to be raised or paid by ourselves.  Our total expenses without pocket money came to 30000.00 per person.
This is only a very small part of the politics that we have to deal with daily.

bobbysmith

Re: Politics in SPort....
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »
enough to make you puke isnt it,i allways support the sa sides when they visit the uk and to see a fellow sa helping any uk side makes me wonder why,over the years its happened in all sports,rugby for example,how many born south africans have played for the lions?i wish these so called politicians would think about the repocussions of their ill thought out policies before sa sport is thrown into any more turmoile