Author Topic: Born in the right Year  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Sandy Wood

• Oranjemunder 1976 to 1981
  • Oranjemunder
Born in the right Year
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1920's, 30's 40's, 50's(Bulldog), 60's, 70's and 80's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking!!!

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a Bakkie on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Steers, Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Chappies, Wilson 's Toffees, Wicks Bubble Gum and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.   

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on DSTV, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given pellet guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays!!

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT AND NOT DUE TO BLACKMAIL, THREATS AND GUILT FROM THE PAST....  strange but true!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like "Kiora" and "Blade" and "Ridge" and "Vanilla"

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS! 

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Sandy (Wood)

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
Re: Born in the right Year
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »
  :emot112_2:   I am one of those kids.......  image071

Offline Claire Mc Cullagh

• Oranjemunder
  • o-mund from Sep 1981-Oct 1992
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »
 grab

I always get funny looks here  because when it rains ( which seems to be a lot lately)  I take the kids out puddle jumping .  I bit of dirt never hurt anyone - people are far to worried about stupid things these days instead of just bloody enjoying life and making the most of what you've got....... 3d smiles(281)

Offline Michele Alexander (Voden)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1981 - present LOCATION:Oranjemund
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
 :emot112_2:

I am often sad for my kids having to grow up in such a fastpaced world. Had to laugh one year when we hired a beachfront flat in the Strand. There was only a small black and white tv - they couldn't understand why there wasn't a remote and no colour!

Mike and I were in our house for about 18 months before we had a tv, it just didn't feature highly on our list. I must credit our girls though as 2 years ago our dstv was giving us problems and we had no tv for just over a week, the girls didn't once complain about it.

OPS 1982-1988, RHENISH 1989 - 1993

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »
TV never been a priority in my life .. sure  to me its good for mindless relaxing .. my early evening junk out is the soapies .  but its half hour . and while its happening i slip in and out of power nap anyhow ..
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
The tv is great for the news and sport for Mike and the girls enjoy Disney Channel but thats about all that gets watched in our house. Years ago I used to enjoy watching BBC Food, especially Ready Steady Cook - wouldn't even know what is on BBC Food these days, we don't get a tv guide!

allgood

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »
No Mnet no DSTV .. only regular channels and of course hire movies .. thats after they off circuit .. have got to hate going to movies .. only go there if something really special on ..  has to do with being on time .. got enough time  restraints throughout my working day .. so my time is mine .. same for dinner invites .. i tell guests to arrive at 8: 30 for 9 .. I normally eat late anyow  and  I want to have ME time  for ME when i get home  first ...

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »
"ME time for ME" - wish I knew what that was. What with Mike, two kids, Shadow and a senile cat there ain't much chance for that. Any ME time I had is now taken up by this forum anyway!

image201

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:10 PM »
ME time is now WE time..........just me and my new buddies  image11

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
Well said Rhona .. ME is WE .. puts it in context ..      drinking-41

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
ME time is now WE time..........just me and my new buddies  image11
Yip me tooooo.....WE ME WE WE MEEE.  This is it.
Michelle we also didn't have tellie in our house for the first 18mnths.....only because there wasn't any back then.
Like Sandy we now only have regular channels and M.Net for Stephens sport.
As for the movies, I DON"T DO MOVIES people chew gum and crunch on popcorn. and slurp coke...can't bear it. Don't even think of eating an apple infront of me. ONLY I EAT without making a noise  202
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
Uh Oh !  me  must  be careful then  ..  maybe its that  theres a hollow space in my head ( no  add ons or  insults here  you lot !!  )  but  when I chew  crunchy stuff   the sound  seems to  get amplified  .. John used to have a fit hearing this ...  so  see Diana  you  not the onyl  one that eats quietly .. i too  was  inflicted with one of those   ...

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
 image19 see Mike - it's not just me! I am forever telling him and the girls to eat quietly, with their mouths closed and to not talk with food in their mouths!

image14

Offline Tamara Hogan

• Oranjemunder
  • Time in O 87-91, left in std4
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »
LOL
I think I am the loudest Though not by choice. Sometimes My jaw clicks when I am eating. It was so loud one day mum heard it from the pasenger seat whilst we were driving with the music on!!!!

faceinfood