Author Topic: Age & staying fit  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Dalene Steenkamp (Coetzee)

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
  • To be of service - not to be served!
Age & staying fit
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
This morning I was surprised and amased ....

Into the gym comes this lady of 68 and declares that she has never in her life excersised before, but she has decided it's time she starts doing something and she wants to join.  The gym owner and instructor took her in, signed her up and started working with her.   She was there for half an hour  -  sweat pouring from her, face red, out of breath, but...  she was happy and smiling and solemnly declared that she will not stop, for she was feeling so good. 

Aparrently her husband died about 6 months ago and she went into a state of depression.  She went to a pshyciatrist (thank heaven for him/her), who told her to join a gym for there is nothing like a workout to clear the mind and get the spirits up again. 

At her age  -  to actually do the thing :    woo_hoo   you go tannie !  You got guts and what's best  -  you walked out that gym with a smile on your face.  Your muscles might be a little sore this afternoon or tomorrow morning, but I know you are going to come back.   Yay  -  what an ispiration for me and the others.  Even Riana, the gym owner and instructor was all smiles after the tannie left.

See  -  never to old to get physical again!
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other cannot keep it from themselves.

Offline Patricia Lotte

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund '74 - '85
Re: Age & staying fit
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:23:02 PM »
Way to go ouma ... Good on her. Hope she doesn't let the aches and pains stop her from returning.
OPS ('74-'79)
RGHS ('80-'84)

Offline Cherry (Alcock)

• Oranjemunder
  • Whatever blows your hair back!
    • UCT GSB
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
Makes me feel guilty!  My mom at 73 goes to Curves 3x a week - shame on me!

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
Cherry/Dalene - So there's still hope for me!  No, great attitude auntie, and I hope she enjoys the people in the gym to help her get through the tough time.  I'm sure with new friends like Dalene she'll feel at home very soon.

I know somebody else who's very fit - my Mom - at 73 she still does all her house work, gardening etc. herself.  Never had any help.  Also easier for her to walk to the center of town (Malmesbury) to go shopping and back up the steep hill to their house - because it's too much trouble pulling out the car!  Only freaks me out when I get there, and suddenly the cement path has been moved - "oh I just moved the slabs a few meters that way, they're not so heavy", she says!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Dalene Steenkamp (Coetzee)

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
  • To be of service - not to be served!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
 image071   Tannie Miem (that's her name) was back at the gym this morning  -  a little sore, but happy as can be and chatted away cheerfully while on the treadmill and on the bicycle.  A true darling  -  even joked about getting into shape and then making the men's heads turn again. 

Just 2 days, and her spirits are 10 times higher.  Say's she is going to make an appointment with the hairdresser today to get her hair cut and coloured...  Got to get my butt in gear, for one of these day's tannie Miem is going to give us a real go.  She even stayed for 45 mins today. 
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other cannot keep it from themselves.

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »
Whoa! that is absolutely brilliant.....make sure and tell Tannie Miem she has a whole cyber family behind her all the way  dawoman

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
Wow, she's definitely on the up!  Way to go Tannie Miem!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline barb (Fry)

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund born and bred. WGHS (1977-!981)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
Just thought I's add that there is a lady in my yoga class who is 85
she can still lift her leg up onto a table top - she has problems kneeling due to the knee replacements she's had and can't sit cross legged with her knees on the floor due to the hip replacements
But she can still move about and says in comparison to her contemparies she's the most agile and has the least aches and pains
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
85..........wow! I don't think I could even lift my leg onto a table top - good for her  :emot112_2:

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
 :emot112_2: Aunty Miems  yougogirl

I have an allergy to gym......got a doctors note and all.
 pole-small
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline Florrie van Zyl (Muir)

• Kimberley
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Makes me feel guilty, my doctor has also told me to go to gym because of depression but I am the laziest person on this planet, keep planning to go but never do. We live next to Virgin Active, I pay a monthly membership but I'm always full of excuses.
OPS 1969-1975, Centaurus 1975-1980

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 06:44:19 AM »
I try to swim 30 lengths every morning in the town pool.... There are many a day..were i just don't feel like it..... I don't stand next to the water pondering about it...I make a decisive point to walk from the change room and dive into the wate immediately..... the second that I hit the water.... I know that I have done the right thing...... once I have finished...I feel awesome..... and wonder to myself why I ever doubted going for the swim in the first place..... it was the best thing I do on a daily basis..... and relieves a tremendous amount of tension.,..... negative energy.....

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Florrie van Zyl (Muir)

• Kimberley
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 06:14:19 PM »
When I do go, I feel so good afterwards but just getting myself to go there is the problem. Been really busy lately but as from end of this month should have more time, will definitely start then.
OPS 1969-1975, Centaurus 1975-1980

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
Im  sort of proud of myself ... I  got by  butt  in  gear and went back to Gym for the first time in  1 1/2 years .. reason ... my  bulletproof body  that ahs served me so well ...  no weight  issue . as I'm a fatburner ,. cholestrol low .. BP  magnificent  , never sick ..etc etc .. my shock  and yes the reason i know the stress of the last  year and bit has taken its toll ... my BP  from 110 /70  (  on the  low side  but  acceptable for my frame )  and pulse rate of   66 - 72 ..  when i went for a checkup has mutated into   140 / 90 or something like that ...  Doc said its a form of hypertension and yes a  true reflection of whats been happening emotionally and  displaying as physical ... and yes me been on a " holiday "  this  last year and  bit supping too much ( numbing ) and yes smoking a bit more ..  also worrying about all the  house maintenace issues  that now looked like a huge  cliff in front of me .. " how am i going to get it all done ..??/ " fret  .. lave alone .. fret cos i'm not getting things done ... not good  ... I have sat down .. I now have the finacial means to hire somebody good to  do it for me .. sure yes taclke the small  jobs that when completed give one a sense of acomplishment  but leave the big  shit to  others that one can pay for services .. my  one colleague  at work has good recomended  project manager that ahs done some jobs for him ..  and only sings praise  ( and he's a difficult Boer ) so   if he happy , suppose i will be ..
 anyhow it was hell driving to gym .. all i wanted to do was turn the car around  and go back home .. once there i gently started out ..  Whow .. my body has responded and  is actually overjoyed ...  kept it low key and will do so for a few weeks .. but yes i do hope my next checkup will show a shift due to  mindshift and taking my responsibility  back ....
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Patricia Lotte

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund '74 - '85
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:06:09 AM »
Well done Sandy ... Bet you're feeling great despite the stiffness, aches and pains.  rooster
OPS ('74-'79)
RGHS ('80-'84)