Author Topic: Age & staying fit  (Read 2907 times)

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
Re: Age & staying fit
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
Patricia .. no  stiffness  no  aches ..  me   an active person anyhow  ..  at .work    on my  feet most  the time  ..flying up and down steps .. walk  fast ...  etc ..
But yes  doing  gym..  my  favourites .. toning  .. elliptical trainer ..  rowing ..  I  virtually go into a  meditaion  mode  while rowing ..  back stroke  breathe in   say  good  energy in ..  forward stroke  breathe out .. say bad  energy out ... i  repeat all kinds of  in and out  things .. good health in ..  bad health  out ..   etc etc .. so its very relaxing for the mind  and  yes  reaffirming ..  body and mind ...  thats the  benefit ... once I get   toning routine right  .. i will go  back to light weights as well ..  and of course  a bit  of  swimming ..
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Patricia Lotte

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund '74 - '85
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Exercise is the key to staying young and in shape. You've got to keep those muscles moving, just like you need to keep your brain working with age. I did a 10km run last Friday and am feeling great again just having made the effort to participate. Ok, I didn't look as fresh as the marathon runners when they crossed the finish line after 42km, but hey, they run that distance all the time ... Must say that Haile Gebresalassie is the greatest runner of all times, and he makes it look so easy. He missed the world record by less than 2 minutes on Friday.
OPS ('74-'79)
RGHS ('80-'84)

Offline Dalene Steenkamp (Coetzee)

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
  • To be of service - not to be served!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
 :emot112_2:

Well done Sandy  -  proud of you that you made the right desicion to back to the gym.  Keep us updated on the progress as you go along...

Way to go Patricia  ....

Kept up my fitness levels all through the holiday as well.   Took my dumbells with  -  some days I walked 8km with dumbells  -  working out as I walked and on the days I walked without them I did 12km.   Weight remained stable and I did not suffer so much to get back to the gym when I got back.  (Believe me  -  I did consume my amount of beer....)
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other cannot keep it from themselves.

Offline DUNJA WRBKA

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1978-1984
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
 cat3  I myself decided that I needed to get my behind into gear and get fit this year.  Did not want to purchase another gym membership (white elephant)  only  to go for a month or two, not knowing exactly what I am doing only to return to being a couch potato.  Instead this year I decided to get myself a personal trainer that will come to my house and give me my excercises routine at home.  There is no way that I can run from that or decide on my way home from work that "I am not in the mood"

Wish me luck as I have been a "serious" couch potato and know that muscles are going to ache that I did not even know existed! lol
Don't sweat the small shit!

Offline Michele Alexander (Voden)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1981 - present LOCATION:Oranjemund
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
Good for you Dunja - you'll have to keep us up to date on how it goes! Mike and I have also just started swimming again and I already feel much the better for it - at least I get to work on my tan again!
OPS 1982-1988, RHENISH 1989 - 1993

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
@ Michele - so Mike at last managed to drag you to his porta-pool?  We know he's been trying!  swink
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Rhona

• Ireland
  • Oranjemunder
  • I almost did it myself...
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
@ Dunja - Personal Trainer hey? Definitely keep us up to date - hope your trainer is easy on the eye  image071

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
Went again 2nite ... my Gym open till  10: 30  so I dont have to stress about time .. anyhow a bit of night creature  so suits .. so far no pain  .. pulse  rate not climbing too much  so I still got residual fitness ,,, and yes body  relishing in it ..  my program is to be ,,  possibly  sat definite  Sun .. tuesday and thursday ...
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Dalene Steenkamp (Coetzee)

• 1973 - 1983
  • Oranjemunder
  • To be of service - not to be served!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »
Good for you Dunja!  Same wishes as Rhona....  he he

I love going to the gym...  the interaction and chats we have there is just great and we inspire each other as we go along and give compliments and moan together about all our "mistakes"....   

Nice for you Michele  -   all of us back in office now has the holiday tan fading real fast.  I envy you.
Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier. Friendship is a sheltering tree.

To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must be stupid enough to want it.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other cannot keep it from themselves.