Author Topic: My 2008 trip Thailand  (Read 2264 times)

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
My 2008 trip Thailand
« on: November 02, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
I'm just so bloody lazy at the moment .. I have started the topic to get me moving .. but I warn i will be slow ..  been going through pics .. cant exactly describe the trip .. for me it was a going back to a happy time 2 years ago , same timeframe .. for Paul it was a first time and for him amazing  considering he only  flown twice in his life once to JHBand this long journey next .. the sharing of recollections as he was close to John as well sharing the love of orchids that I now owe him for the caring of now ...   We stayed at Cape Panwa hotel .. one of the older established  resorts I demanded that I go back there  .. I gather its  well  over 20 yrs old  at the southernmost tip of Phuket island .. far away from the  madding  crowd ..  private beach .. safe secure ,, yet a short trip to Phuket town and all other  tourist traps if thats what you want ..  best time of year is early Oct to late oct .. before the hordes descend ..  after all what is a holiday about .. R & R .. I saw so many familiar faces  revisiting   from  2 years ago .. there are people who have been back there for 10 + years .. they now tired of the  tours etc and just take out  time  from the world .. For me and Paul  it was more about engaging with locals ,,  seeing  architecture ,, temples ,,  wandering around on foot , getting  lost ..   eating local ..  shopping at the local stalls and night markets ..  Oh and on shopping i just love the  stuck in time  bit of departmental stores .. same them as the old  Stuttafords and Garlicks ..  central well with  the escalators  and all the departments ...  sady no longer in existence here ..   doing the mandatory tours .. more for his benefit ..  lazing n the beach  .. getting  massages every   day or second day ( felt like a human being after  that pampering ) supporting the local small businesses as much as possible .. hardly ate at the hotel excepting breakfast and the lunches on our beach days ..  The Thai are the most delighful gracious well mannered and respectful people ...  and yes the intent is to go back again possibly next year again .. only diffs this time is I will hire a scooter  so that we can explore and get lost a  bit more ...  We both has very emotional expereince at Wat Chalong temple .. went back there 4 times in total .. anyhow I will start with some pics of the beach from the private jetty ..  and along the beach .. yu will observe the one  sino portuguese villa  .. there are two such on the site .. beautiful .. one is a restaurant and the other a  guest villa .. more on that later ..
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:02:31 PM by SandyB »
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
Re: My 2008 trip Thailand
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
Observe you cannot see the  hotel behind all the palms.. in the last pic you will se a development .. its apparently a timesharey thing sprouted up ni the last  two years .. .

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »
the  tide out ..
 a view from the room
a night time view ..

will close  for now with one comment .. most of the guests are either from britain , scotland .. europe ,, eastern europe ..  mainland thailand  or chinese .. not one irritating american twang in evidence .. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:25:40 PM by SandyB »

Offline Michele Alexander (Voden)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1981 - present LOCATION:Oranjemund
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »
 image031  notfair

Sandy - your photo's are stunning and it sounds like you had an amazing time!
OPS 1982-1988, RHENISH 1989 - 1993

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder from 1973 till 1979.... OPS:73 - 76St. Pauls College: 77 - 78
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »
Fantastic Sandy. But don't you think you let us wait to long??   23_146_26
Nothing special. Just some clips I put in youtube.de
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigbug74&search_type=&aq=f
Please comment! It may help promote our volleyball-club.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »
like  said  Jnr ..  preoccupied with so many other things ..    will post as i go along ..

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »
That's okay Sandy. I was only kidding. We all seem a bit tired of posting at the moment.
I'm sure the reunion will give us a push...

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Knew so Jnr .. all in good time .. came back to a smooth running  workplace ,, all looked after very well for me .. but its that time of year ,, and with the economic climate .. our one major client Woolworths ( a handsome account ) are looking for ways to save on costs of packaging  withut sacrifing the quality look .. so at the moment my creativity being stretched .. had to come up with quite a few good ideas in the last few days anything to keep them happy and  retain the business  and goodwill  ..  then its field trials etc etc .. aslo so busy that I am currently taking some work home ie : reports and budgets  to be completed but find my self tired and only do a bit .. the list grows longer .. Ouch !!

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
I know that problem...