Author Topic: Problems With the Quiz?  (Read 12079 times)

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
Re: Problems With the Quiz?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

chocolate-51         Yeah Michael thanks to all involved in the Quiz make up.

That's when I can get back to it ,the Easter holidays are still going here and we have had the three kids up
since last Thursday, their Mum arrived today and is staying till Sunday with the baby.

All the girls are in this room with the computer.........................Frank     Hot(1) Hot(1) Hot(1)
Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Cherry (Alcock)

• Oranjemunder
  • Whatever blows your hair back!
    • UCT GSB
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
oooh cold turkey on the quiz - can I do it, can I do it ..... will just have to - go for it Mike!  How abou those of us who are addicts set up quizzes for loading when all back to normal in the meantime --- go for it!

SMFModding

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »
Hi,

I am the developer of the Quiz mod. I would like to point out that you will get timeout problems every now and again and the amount of times this happens will depend on your connection between your client and the server. The reason is the quiz uses Ajax to obtain the questions, so if there is a connection problem while you are playing the quiz it will be unable to get the next question. However, the should be a retry mechanism in place and the quiz script should popup a message saying it will retry.

I have this script running on one of my sites that has over 1000 members. This site has 261 quizes installed and these have been played around 8000 times. My members do get timeouts, but very rarely. So I am surprised to see you are having issues over here. Do you have any stats like x% times you play there are timeouts? Is it only happening to certain members? Does it only occur during certain times of the day? Etc?

The issue relating to the quiz saying you have a session to be completed but then it won't let you finish that session as it thinks you have completed it sounds like a bug. If anyone experiences this again could you try and remember the exact steps that occurred to produce this please?

I am glad quite a few of you appear to enjoy the quiz, it is a shame that you are not having a great experience with it at the moment. I can only apologise for the frustration and attempt to assist you in rectifying any issues you may have. In order to do this though I will need as much information as you can provide.

Thanks

SMFModding

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
Oh, and if you have any suggestions for improvement please feel free to contact me.

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
@ "SMFModding" - Thanx for the trouble!  We love the quiz program, hiccups and all.  We're not really complaining and I do understand that something this new and in the developing stages will need some work.
We'll keep playing and I will write down any observations when some unexplained problem shows its face again and post it here for you.
Thanx again for your hard work!  msn emoticon (9)  cheers
Cherry & Di, if the stress gets too much, phone me, we'll ask each other dumb questions just to stay in touch with the quiz experience!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
Thanks SMFModding, for popping in and letting everyone know whats happening, it's a great piece of software that he has developed.... obviously all new mods have hiccups..... I sat next to my father, Jock who played two quizes.....no problems at all......

thanks
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
 thnx
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline Cherry (Alcock)

• Oranjemunder
    • UCT GSB
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »
@ "SMFModding" as well - ditto on Bertie's comments - love the quiz - bugs 'n all!  Tx to you and Mikey Mike for the trouble!  BTW your nick sounds like a swearword!  image201 image201

SMFModding

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
@ "SMFModding" as well - ditto on Bertie's comments - love the quiz - bugs 'n all!  Tx to you and Mikey Mike for the trouble!  BTW your nick sounds like a swearword!  image201 image201

cheers

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
I haven't had any problems lately.  Enjoying the quiz section very much!  Can I post two suggestions for SMF Modding to consider here?  Both have to do with setting up a new "user's quiz":

1. Basic editing option would be nice, for instance "Bold/Italic/Underline".  It would be easier to hi lite keywords and/or put quotations or scientific names in italics.

2. When a quiz has been set up, it would be nice to have a "preview" page, with the questions and answers on the same page, maybe next to each other to check if they are correct before submitting.  At present I have to click on the "edit" tab next to each question one at a time and then go back to see if the answers are ticked correctly.
 23_11_61  thnx
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Cherry (Alcock)

• Oranjemunder
    • UCT GSB
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
Nice suggestions Bertie; also and probably a bit of a challenge - anyway to show when you go to the main board to see what quizzes you've already played?

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
Yes, good suggestion Cherry!  Now there's 3 suggestions for our boffins to have sleepless nights over...

Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
Handed it over to SMFModding..... thanks for the quizzes you two...keep 'em coming, I will add a few later today......

Is it just me, but is this quiz flowing a bit better these days?

allgood
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Cherry (Alcock)

• Oranjemunder
    • UCT GSB
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »
Seems to be working like a charm Mike - thanks muchly to you an dthe nice man with the swearword name! image04 image201

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:51 AM »
I had a slight hic-up when I tested my own quiz - had a few time-outs.  Might have been the reception though, it's raining at the moment.  Otherwise, yes it seems to be flowing smoothly...

One more suggestion - When one creates a new quiz, can the new title you just created be placed in the "title" box by default when you start with setting up the questions?   At the moment it shows the previous title you created. I had to re-do four questions of my latest quiz for they were added to an old quiz that has been submitted already, so there were no way of editing it back to the right (new) topic - a submitted quiz can not be opened to edit.
Oranjemund 1965-1982.