Author Topic: Space and beyond....  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
Space and beyond....
« on: May 02, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »
I managed to set up my telescope last night.  Even though there were thin clouds everywhere and only about 10 stars visible, I still managed to see the moon very clearly.
Since I don't have any fittings and special connections to take photographs through the telescope, I tried to take a picture of the moon by holding my camera over the eyepiece of my telescope on its smallest magnification.  I'm quite happy with the result.  If I get the proper equipment, it can only get better!

Thanx Georg Snr for your advice, your photographic as well as your knowledge of telescopic imagery helped a lot.  I also found the stars you pointed out to me in your e-mail for orientation (explained very well!), even if it was only for a few seconds before they disappeared behind the clouds.
Here's how I saw the moon last night. Remember the camera was held by hand over an eyepiece at slow exposure times - cant wait to get the right stuff for stability and better images!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline georgswa (Georg Ruf)

• Georg Ruf known as George 3 Plt Electric
  • Oranjemunder
  • Mai 1973- Nov 1979, Players, Camera Club
    • My Homepage
Re: Space and beyond....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
Considering that this is your first try, i think we will see more spectacular pics acoming sometimes....

Glad you also found the objects that i wrote about

I would show you my set up, its packed away in the cellar and my Cam adaptor would not help, your cam is heavy and can not be mounted like my small old analog, but i will send you a picture of the eye piece screwed on to the cam in a normal mail
Regards Georg Ruf Stuttgart Germany
My video channels:
http://www.livevideo.com/Georgswa 
http://georgswa.ning.com/
My Homepages
http://www.dersofaladen.de/home/
http://www.dersofaladen.de/georg/html/home2.html
Win Live Mess:........ ageorgruf@aol.com
Liv

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
Bertie /George I mentioned this in a recent post it was about technology, the

Russian's put the first satellite into space in the mid 50s and within 12
years they landed men on the moon, and brought them back.

A lot of people thought it was staged I was not a doubter

The latest Lunar satellite has captured images of the original Apollo landing sites.......................................Frank

http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
I never doubted as well, and there's even some pictures of junk the moonwalkers left behind - apparently there was no need to pick it up and bring it back.  Typical of us humans - destroy all worlds we step on....
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »
I  still got the magazine articles on the lunar landing in my memory box ,,, anyone interested ?? can scan ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Celestial FireworksCredit: NASA, ESA, and Z. Levay (STScI)A spectacular new picture from the Hubble Space Telescope has captured a cosmic fireworks display in deep space: a geyser of gas fired off from a baby star.

The celestial display is the result of Herbig-Haro 110, a gas jet erupting from a distant star and bouncing off of a nearby dust cloud. NASA scientists likened the impressive celestial jet to the skyrockets launched each year in the United States to mark the Independence Day holiday on July 4.

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »
Uranus: Here’s the scene: a thick, tempestuous atmosphere with winds blowing at a clip of 900 km/h (560 mph); massive storms that would engulf continents here on Earth, and temperatures in the -220 C (-360 degree F) range. Sounds like a cold Hell, but this is the picture emerging of the planet Uranus, revealed in new high-resolution infrared images from the Keck Observatory in Hawaii, exposing in incredible detail the bizarre weather of a planet that was once thought to be rather placid.

“These images reveal an astonishing amount of complexity in Uranus’ atmosphere. We knew the planet was active, but until now much of the activity was masked by noise in our data.” Hi3
Voyager 2. Credit: NASA

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

A meteor lit up the skies over the Bay Area in California in what experts say is debris from Halley’s Comet.

Hundreds of residents from Oakland, San Francisco and Santa Cruz called ABC News station KGO-TV, reporting a loud boom, explosions and streaks of light around 7:45 p.m. local time Wednesday.

NASA reported that the 2012 Orionid meteor shower is set to peak Saturday night into Sunday morning.

“Earth is passing through a stream of debris from Halley’s Comet, the source of the Orionids,” Bill Cooke of NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office said NASA’s website.

Excited residents took to Twitter and YouTube to post photos and videos of the streaking comet.

“Happened to look over, saw like a crescent shaped object, reddish orange in color,” Edward Pierce told KGO. “As it went away it started getting larger. Kind of expanding.”

The National Weather Service says warm temperatures and cloudless skies helped make the bright lights more visible.

“Basically, you saw small car-sized pieces of rock and metal from the asteroid belt, crashing through layers of earth’s atmosphere, ionizing and setting the air on fire in its wake,” Jonathan Braidman, astronomer at the Chabot Space and Science Center, told KGO.

The Orionids are one of two annual meteor showers produced by icy pieces of Halley’s Comet. The other shower, called the Eta Aquarids, peaks each year in early May, according to NASA.

“Since 2006, the Orionids have been one of the best showers of the year, with counts in some years up to 60 or more meteors per hour,” NASA’s Cooke said.

Halley’s Comet might just be the most famous comet of all time, passing earth every 75 to 76 years. The last time it passed earth and was visible with the naked eye was in February 1986

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.