Author Topic: Penny Finds Pretty Stone  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Penny Finds Pretty Stone
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:45 AM »
I just loved this article, somebody mentioned this tale elsewhere on the forum about a year back.... here is the article on the event..... this might be a reason to keep the town closed..... this is the reason, that whenever I walk my dog around the town, I keep my eyes on the floor.....

For some strange reason , this tale invokes an era the pioneering diamond days for me....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
Re: Penny Finds Pretty Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »

Michael.

One of the jobs I had at central fields was to service and repair the pebble mills.
On many occasion after removing the earth from them the Ovambo helper would hand me
three or more diamonds he had found inside the mill.

I found out later on that they used to get a reward for the diamonds they found.

There is a place not far from were I live Its called Emerald its not a closed town
and we were up there last year in the (It rains there at that time of the year) winter time.

We drove a few kilometers to a place called Sapphire and all the time I noticed people
walking at the side of the road with their heads bent down.

Did not find anything myself...................................................................Frank

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Penny Finds Pretty Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »
I was looking for the topic where we discussed the potential of diamonds being in the foundations and roads of some of the older parts of town, but could not find it... so I will just post what I have to say here....

I noticed how some of the older masonary around town was starting to suffer from wind erosion, kinda like the ghost towns that Bob had mentioned in a few of his articles..... just had to photograph these bricks today, it reminded me of those articles.......

One wonders what the chances of there being diamonds in those bricks, seeing that they were built about 1970/....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988