Author Topic: Selling of houses in Kleinzee & Kooingnaas  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Charmain Meier (Heusdens)

• Oranjemunder
Selling of houses in Kleinzee & Kooingnaas
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
Mike

My brother in law who lives in Koffiefontein phoned me early this morning.  Apparently it was broadcasted on OFM radio this morning that the houses in Kleinzee and Kooingnaas are being sold.  Any info?

Charmain
The higest love of all finds it's fulfilment not in what it keeps, but in what it gives.  We may give without loving, but we cannot love without giving

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Selling of houses in Kleinzee & Kooingnaas
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
I have'nt heard anything yet.... will get back to you on that...
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
Got some feedback..... nope the houses are not for sale (yet)..... they are still waiting for proclomation and the incorporation of Kleinzee and Koingnaas into the Municipality.... Valuations of the buildings also needs to be done...

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
I heard that NO houses will be sold in Kleinzee, and that EVERYBODY has to leave the town when it closes... anybody heard any other rumors?
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
De Beers sold Kleinzee to another diamond mining company, not sure if it is Trans Hex or Petra ... anyhow, the town goes with the mine at this stage..... the new company is looking at mining the surf zone like NAMDEB is planning to do..... the new company also owns the license area in the adjacent sea.....

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »
There is an urgent appeal from the locals to NOT let the sale go through before De Beers pays for the damage done to the environment by mining. Friend of mine busy with rehabilitation of the old mining area, and he's also of the opinion that the new company would not honor the agreement De Beers had of restoring the damage they've done before packing up and leaving.
In that case, I support the locals (like Hondeklipbaai) to stand up and make De Beers put down their pen on a cheque for restoration before they sell and leave.
There's a link to a press release (yesterday) on my Facebook page regarding the matter. You're welcome to check it out!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
Below what I'm talking about. I didn't copy the pictures as well!

PRESS RELEASE
October 13, 2011

“Halt the sale of De Beers operations until they fix our area”, says Cape West Coast community

The imminent sale of De Beers’ diamond mining operations on the Cape West Coast must be halted until full disclosure and proper consultation with all affected parties has taken place, says the community of Hondeklipbaai.

The department of Mineral Resources (DMR) is expected to make a decision on the approval of the amended environmental management programme, and the transfer of mining rights to Tranx Hex, within weeks. The community launched an awareness campaign this week, to urge DMR to postpone their decision.

Speaking at a media briefing in Cape Town, Hondeklipbaai community leader Dawid Markus said the sale cannot be allowed to continue until they were assured that the companies would honour their obligations to rehabilitate the area.

“We make an urgent call on the DMR to hold these companies to account and to not forget the communities that are directly affected. Too often big mining companies exploit the country’s natural resources without undoing the damage they cause,” said Markus.

He was speaking at the launch of two documentary videos in which the direct damage to the Hondeklipbaai area can be seen. The community is on the West Coast of South Africa, approximately 300 kilometres outside Cape Town.

Markus was supported by the Bench Mark Foundation at the briefing. Bench Mark Foundation earlier this year asked De Beers Consolidated Mines to make substantial revisions to the Environmental Management Programme Report which will become the only legal tool to prevent a lasting negative legacy from diamond mining in Namaqualand.

“The area in Hondeklipbaai is rich in biodiversity, with some species of plants and animals that are not see anywhere else in the world.
“This area must be protected and conserved, and we’re not convinced that the current plans will not leave the area exposed to more risks. Their budget for this kind of repair work is wholly inadequate, and it is the people of Hondeklipbaai that will end up paying for it, for generations to come,” said Markus.

The two videos show scenery from the Hondeklipbaai area, while Dawid Markus delivers a narrative on why his community is insistent that no sale agreement be approved until their environment is rehabilitated properly. The video clip is available for download from
- the video was produced by Green Renaissance.] 

/ends
[ABOUT: Dawid Markus was born in Hondeklipbaai, and lives there still with his family and represents the community of Hondeklipbaai.]
[ABOUT: The Bench Marks Foundation is an independent faith based organisation monitoring corporate performance in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) with the focus on social sustainability and economic empowerment. http://www.bench-marks.org.za/
[ABOUT: Green Renaissance is a film production company that specializes in environmental content creation, with a focus on conservation and the importance of communicating a transparent agenda for environmental change. Green Renaissance produces creative multimedia content in support of environmental justice initiatives. For more information visit - www.greenrenaissance.co.za]
Issued by HWB Communications (Pty) Ltd on behalf of the community of Hondeklipbaai.
For information, please contact:
Martin Slabbert
Account Manager: HWB Communications (Pty) Ltd
Tel: 021 462 0416/ 079 500 1503
martin@hwb.co.za
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Adriaan Van Rooyen

• Oranjemunder
  • There's Only One Western Province!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
There was a clip on TV last night and the areas they showed looked terrible,unlike Namdeb where rehab takes place all over the mine. image04
There's Only One Western Province!