Author Topic: Potato croquettes!  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Potato croquettes!
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
Potato Croquettes

A fancier side dish than boiled potatoes ...
Ingredients

for four persons as a side dish:

* 400 g potatoes
    * 1/8 litre of milk
    * 10 g butter
    * a pinch of salt
    * grated nutmeg
    * one eggyolk
    * 150 g flour

for the breading

* 1 egg
    * breadcrumbs

Croquettes
Preparation

Peel and boil the potatoes. When they are done (20 minutes or so), drain the water off and let the potatoes sit for a couple of minutes, but don't let them cool down. We only want excess water to evaporate.

Get your potato masher out. Add the salt, nutmeg and butter to the potatoes and start mashing. Slowly add milk (you might not need the whole 125 ml, half might do, depending on the type of potatoes you are using) and keep mashing the mixture until is is very smooth and creamy - and not too liquid! You want a fairly stiff potato mash ...

Now add the egg yolk and keep mashing ... the mixture will turn sticky now, so slowly add the flour (again, you might not need all for the 150 grams, depending on the type of potatoes) until the mixture is again firm and only slightly sticky.

Now form either balls or rolls of the mixture (that's entirely up to your personal taste) and put them on a wooden board. Let them sit in the fridge for half an hour.

Take the pre-formed croquettes out of the fridge. Open the egg up and put the contents on a plate. Mix thoroughly with a fork. Take another plate and put breadcrumbs on it.

Pre-heat your deep fat frier to 180 degrees centigrade (350 Fahrenheit). When the fat has reached its temperature, take each individual croquette, turn it in the whisked egg so it is completely coated in egg and then in the breadcrumbs (again, coating it completely in a thin layer of breadcrumbs).

Put the breaded croquettes into the fat - after about 2 minutes, they should be golden brown. If not, give them another minute until you have the right colour. Then take them out and put them straight on the plate to serve. Don't let them sit around too long as they will get soggy.
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
Re: Potato croquettes!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »
Have you been reading Michele's cookery books again...........??????
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
Nope, but was thinking about doing these tasty things in a potjie pot when you guys get back up to oranjemund again!!!!!!!   ape
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
Sounds great...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »
I  is currently working on my  healthy  meatballs ..  Ie ... meatballs with  so much good veg  hidden that they will form a healthy balanced snack or ultimately  kids lunchbox  item balanced nutrition ..  also for me  .. heavy work schedule ..  also done the  second batch  in  good tomato based sauce with  spagetti ... MMM   but they also got  to be  able to stand up on their own ..  right combination of   herbs and  ingredients ...  next  a "veg meat ball"  with a difference ...  not the dry sawdusty  Fry's  stuff .. all nice and good .. thinking of chickpeas  and tahini as one of the  primes ala falafell  but yes  its the combination of  veg to add juiciness .... Michelle  will keep you posted ... and yes so far  my results are  light   and not  rubbery ... i hate that ...
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »
To much work for me....boiled baby 'tatoes is good.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.