Author Topic: Mrs Linda Ralph  (Read 1857 times)

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder from 1973 till 1979.... OPS:73 - 76St. Pauls College: 77 - 78
  • Oranjemunder
Mrs Linda Ralph
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:40 AM »
I recieved a Mail from Mrs Linda Ralph yesterday. She was our class-teacher in 75 and 76. Great person. One of the best teachers I had in OPS.
Linda lives in Chicago with her husband and teaches adult emigrants. They are planing to move back to England as her husband is retiring next year. Their sons are roundabout 30 years old now.
I wonder who else remembers her.
Nothing special. Just some clips I put in youtube.de
http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigbug74&search_type=&aq=f
Please comment! It may help promote our volleyball-club.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Mrs Linda Ralph
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23:48 AM »
When did they leave Omund?  are-you-there
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Diana Rudd (Boehme)

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
The name is very familiar....what was her husbands name? Did he play either hockey or cricket?   Brian Ralph rings a bell?????
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »
Must've been Brian. I think both played hockey. Mayby Brian played cricket too. Can't remember. I only remember, they were in the bulliton on a regular basis.
The Ralphs left OM in 77.

Offline Ricky Barron

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
Brian Ralph was an above average cricketer, and hit the first six on the "new" grass pitch in 72/73 (prior to that we played on a "mat"). This I know, as I was the bowler! I don't believe he played hockey though....

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
There we go Ricky. Got it. I wasn't sure if I remembered the name from my hockey days or Stephens cricket days.
O.P.S -1969, Springfield Convent -1970, Holy Cross Convent-1972., Centaurus-1974
I got around.

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
Thanks Ricky. Well Diana, then you must've played hockey with Linda.

• Oranjemunder
  • 1960- 1981
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Still looking for a photo, got one somewhere here. Can remember them both as clear as day now.
I got around.

Offline georg ruf jr.

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
They were both sort of blondish, but not as light as you.

Offline Bruce Davies

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
Brian Ralphs played both cricket and hockey - was actually a better hockey player than cricketer and as Ricky commented he was a pretty fair cricketer..! I played cricket with and against Brian for a few years and remember him as more of "nudger" than a big hitter so I'm not sure what that says about your bowling Rick...??! There were quite a few cricketers through the 70's and 80's who were also outstanding hockey players - names like Gavin Harris, Barry Smith, Neil Boonzaaier (I think he was actually a Springbok), Harold Hester, Garnet Carr spring to mind.

Offline lostbok

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
"Holy thread resurrection" I hear you say, but just in case anybody wanted an update on my mom and dad (Brian and Linda Ralphs, O'mund ~1974-1977).

Both are in good health and doing very well and as my mom often likes to remind me: doing lots of SKI'ing (Spending the Kids Inheritance)... although there are threats to take up "SKIFFing".... the "FF" stands for "something Fast"... I'm encouraging them - they deserve a nice retirement!!

When did they leave Omund?

Late '77, I think - CDM/AA moved the family out to Klerksdorp by Jan '78 and then Boschendal in ~'79 for my dad to do a part time MBA at UCT.

RE: the hockey/ cricket:

They both played hockey in Oranjemund and for Namibia (I think my dad captained the Namibian team at one stage, but I think that would have been against SA provincial teams, not full international), they both also played Western Province (although I think my mom played WP A's and my dad played WP B's).

I think my mom stopped playing around the time my brother and I were born (late 70's/early 80's), but my dad played back in Cape Town at WPCC for a while afterwards.

I know several of the names mentioned before: we used to go camping every year with Garney Carr, but the last time I saw the Carr's was ~'93/'94. Barry Smith was my dad's best man and is also my brother's godfather - Barry had travelled the world with SAB and retired in Cape Town - they still remain in very close contact. The only other friend of theirs that I know is from O'mund would be my godfather Paddy Kell - who has also retired out in Cape Town and when I last saw them (2016) was also in good health and also enjoying a well earned retirement!

The only other person I remember was more from our last visit to Oranjemund (~1989), where we stayed with the Burchells (Roger) and were treated to a "full tour" of the Sperrgebiet that I think few Oranjemunders ever get to see - truly amazing, inspirational and quite haunting! Forever grateful for what is a truly lasting memory of the old ghost towns!

I recieved a Mail from Mrs Linda Ralph yesterday. She was our class-teacher in 75 and 76. Great person. One of the best teachers I had in OPS.
Linda lives in Chicago with her husband and teaches adult emigrants. They are planing to move back to England as her husband is retiring next year. Their sons are roundabout 30 years old now.
I wonder who else remembers her.

Yep, that was all accurate: they moved back from Chicago about 9 years ago and they're retired in Hertfordshire, England.

No more hockey for my dad since ~1990 (knees), but he carried on playing a lot of cricket, normally as an opening batsman + wicket keeper. He was playing Buckinghamshire over-60's county cricket until he was about 69 (2-3 seasons ago) and also chairman of the local cricket club until last year, but he's eventually packed away the cricket whites and they both play bowls A LOT*.

I think >40yrs of being a cricket widow was getting a bit much for my mom, so they are both doing very well at their local bowls club. My dad's captain of the men's club and my mom is part of the blind bowls pair for England (my mom is the guide, not the blind bowler), they are competing in the county championships against sighted pairs and have done extremely well on the blind bowls side of things too! http://www.berkhamstedtoday.co.uk/news/blind-bowler-is-world-champion-1-7904260

*forget about "cricket widows", there's also "bowls orphans"!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:37:47 PM by lostbok »

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »
Diana -  Brian or John Ralph  had me guessing - there was a John Ralph as well . and his wife Name ? I forgot .  i think she was a teacher as well  / maybe at the creche  . john was a short person . 

Offline lostbok

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »
Diana -  Brian or John Ralph  had me guessing - there was a John Ralph as well . and his wife Name ? I forgot .  i think she was a teacher as well  / maybe at the creche  . john was a short person .

Pretty sure Georg was asking about Linda Ralphs (I think she taught several different years, but mostly ~Std4?)

Just going on the clues (albeit from ~9yrs ago):
I recieved a Mail from Mrs Linda Ralph yesterday. She was our class-teacher in 75 and 76 [correct years]. Great person [defintely :)]. One of the best teachers I had in OPS.
Linda lives in Chicago with her husband and teaches adult emigrants [correct on both accounts at the time]. They are planing to move back to England as her husband is retiring next year [correct again]. Their sons are roundabout 30 years old now[Hi! that's me!].