Author Topic: Philip Bruce ~ Founder of the Newsletter!  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Philip Bruce ~ Founder of the Newsletter!
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
Here's an interesting piece of Oranjemund History, Philip Bruce. the founder of the Oranjemund Newsletter, way back in November 1956,

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline mavis(smith)

• Oranjemunder
Re: Philip Bruce ~ Founder of the Newsletter!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
It is Robert Bruce (Dad)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »
Thanks Mavis, I was wondering about that.....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
This is my dad's brother Philip.

My parents were the first to arrive at OM. They were followed to OM by Phil and Betty Bruce and then by my mother's brother and his wife, John and Doreen Wright.

My dad wishes he could have nurtured a moustache like Uncle Phil's. It was a beauty! Dad's was a trifling diminutive RAF handlebar job!   
ROBERT BRUCE

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
11/2/2019

Just read my reply immediately above and it got me thinking that I do not recall knowing of any other families related to both the man and wife of the first family to settle in OM and remain there for x or xx years before moving on.

We had my dad's elder brother and my mother's younger brother and their respective wives.

Were there others? Would be interesting to learn if there were.

24February 2019

Uncle Phil went on to become Director of PR for De Beers at the London head office. He did well and am p.eased he broke with family tradition of all sons of a Bruce become Employees of Lloyds Bank. I think he initially started at Lloyds but my dad's adventure to Southern Africa following a great Aunt' s wooing  of her niece (my mother) to get to Cape Town where the sun shone at night, guavas were the size of a football etc etc met with success. Minna had fallen in love with a South African soldier during WW1 and he became my Uncle Frank. Wow, what a fantastic human being he was.

Frank and Minna lived in Green Point and I loved going there whenever we holidayed at Cape Town.

Aside from two other brothers who remained in U.K., the entire Bruce/Wright clan departed UK to settle in South Africa. In a previous post I have mentioned mum's two brothers Jim and John.

Some of you will recall John and Doreen Wright from their days at Oranjemund. The other brother Jim settled in Cape Town.

I should mention here that millions of Castle Lager and Lion Ale fans down the ages owe the constant availability of their favoured beer to Uncle Jim! He made sure the electrics worked day and night at that place in Newlands that hat overlooks the best cricket ground in the world - Newlands! And you know who sponsors the cricket teams.....jawelnofine, CASTLE by Ohllsons Brewery makers of the finest lager in the universe!

Nod thanks to Uncle Jim.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:44:10 PM by Robert Bruce »
ROBERT BRUCE