Oranjemund Online

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Computer Headache!  (Read 1172 times)

Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
Computer Headache!
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »

Just got new computer at home, with Windows 7 (new to me), and Microsoft Office latest version (also new to me).
AM I STRUGGLING OR WHAT!!!!
Everything's changed. Have to search for everything in simple excel document. And if I ask to PASTE, I do mean paste, dammit! Don't ask me HOW I want to paste!!!! GRRR
And then - a lot of programs I had on the older Windows, doesn't work with Win 7.  For instance:
- Computer doesn't pick up my camera for downloads.  (Downloaded file to correct this from internet, but it changed the program (Zoombrowser EX) to latest version, but STILL doesn't pick up my camera).
- Photostudio 5.5 doesn't work, and I cannot find FREE upgrade online.
- I cant find a way to make my photo's smaller (compress), to post/send them on internet.
- I have to teach the old folks to work with the computer, but with this new stuff, I don't know if I'm going to manage.
- I need a dop and I don't drink!
 3_8_14
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Patricia Lotte

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund '74 - '85
Re: Computer Headache!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

Bertie, your post has made me wonder whether I should stick to what I currently have on my laptop ... Vista ... or go through the hassles of switching to Microsoft 7. Vista is the worst software ever invented, but it sounds like Microsoft 7 still has a lot of tweaking to do. Maybe it's time to switch to Mac. All those who did, praise it ...!
OPS ('74-'79)
RGHS ('80-'84)

Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »

Avoid Vista at all costs, W7 is nice, but needs a bit of a learning curve... I am still sitting on XP and cannot complain.....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »

I was very happy with XP. Win7 looks nice, works very well, it's just getting used to everything in a different place, and much too many options to perform simple tasks. Then also compatibility issues with other programs (like my camera for instance - worked wonderful on XP)
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »

I found a way to compress pictures at last.    Right click -> open with -> choose microsoft office ->  there you are! The same screen as the old MS Office, thank goodness!
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Charles Scheepers

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »

Once you get use to Win-7 you don't want anything else. I'm running it for 5 months now and it is a dream!! Just bite the bullet and push through. Who remembers Comadore 64, DOS, PC-Tools and all those old programs. THAT WAS HELL!! People are just getting lazy. Work the PC!!

Or you can go the Mike Stenson way.......Linux...and miss out on all the fun a PC can give you! (Sorry Mike!)
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. - Albert Einstein (18791955)

Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »

And miss out on all the viruses, malware, trojans, worms, keyloggers and spyware...  woo_hoo
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"