Author Topic: Oranjemundonline gets Hacked with a Trojan!  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
Re: Oranjemundonline gets Hacked with a Trojan!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Linux has Anti-virus software available, it scans for window bugs so they not passed along.
Only run a firewall here so hope I'm safe.
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Again ,, trend .. ZAR  460 + -  per year  licensed for 3 PC's .. so good for a family with more than one PC ..  but even at the price  for one its a bargain ..  like said features regular automatic updates  sometimes many times in a day . etc , and for my own security we use  trend at work , so I have a mirror image  of  protection  when transfering info from my laptop  to  work PC  and vise versa ..
Apart from that  nasty bug that was so new , and although quarantined ,that i should have left so , tried to do a clean  immediately ,, leave sleeping dogs  alone !!
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
Symantec's Norton for me and my laptops and PC. No lag, non-disruptive updating, scanning & backup make it a very excellent internet security option.

Added to the benchmarking anti-virus and anti-malware development - it's a winner. 
ROBERT BRUCE

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
Just for interest sake : Received from Windows 7 Forum:
Dear hennie,
We tend to send any e-mails sparingly, but at Windows 7 Forums and Windows 8 Forums, I am pleased to announce to you that it looks like we have successfully dismantled two 100,000+ page websites run out of Turkey and Vietnam that were copying content, not only from Windows7Forums.com without attribution, but also UbuntuForums.org and AskUbuntu.com (operated by StackOverflow).

The takedown of these sites is a victory for the originality of all of our site contributors, as we have prevented plagiarizing individuals from running amock with content that they only intended to use for the nefarious purpose of monetization. The content was copied using a robotic system of fetching pages that bypassed security measures we had in place. Yet, do not worry, as no violation of the database integrity or any personal information was ever released.

It is also a victory for all independent websites everywhere.
With that being said, we have clamped down on wannabe sites trying to steal years worth of content and have continued our pledge to maintain an Internet archive of information to span the ages.  While I can give no further details on the matter, it would potentially be a breakthrough advancement that would potentially give millions of viewers new access to the forums.

Because our recent take down effort was successful, we were able to get 200,000+ pages of plagiarized data off the Internet, not just for us, but for 2 of our cousins in the Linux community as well.

Stay tuned, as you are always welcome to visit us.