Author Topic: Proclamation doubts?  (Read 897 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Proclamation doubts?
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
Well as of the 1st August, the town is officially proclaimed, but nothing has changed as a few things need to be worked out.

I had a interesting conversation with a Union/Swapo chap a few hours ago,

Turns out, that not all the people are happy with the impending opening of the town.
They feel that it has not been done the right way, and that a referendum should have been held to see who exactly wanted the gates to be thrown open. Seem's that it was'nt the Gov that pushed the process, it was'nt the mine that pushed it, but an individual. The residents wanted to have easier access into Oranjemund, manned by NAMDEB, kind of like what Alexander Bay has been enjoying. They enjoy the safety to be had in oranjemund and do not want that to change.

They also wonder if an ex CEO will reappear to act as a consultant to the new municipality earning a chunk of change!

I know after the CUCA shop robberies in town, a number of the shebeen owners also changed their minds about the town being opened....

I often said to the person driving the process, "You only have one chance of getting this right!", "if you don't, you will ruin the town and it will become like any other dusty town in Africa..."

Let's see if those people sitting on various groups have the courage to speak out about their concerns at meeting and no longer just go with the flow to appease the elders.... after all , you only have one chance....

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
Re: Proclamation doubts?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
There is a positive spin-off Mike.

Professor Brian Cox really wowed BBC TV viewers with his series about the universe. He filmed at Kolmanskop and the sight of the sand reclaiming the buildings was a hit ( as in enjoyed by) the viewers. Tourism to Kolmanskop is expected to increase.

So maybe OM can get into his series #47 in a few dozen years....?! Yes? No? OK I'll leave this alone.

ROBERT BRUCE

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
Wow! Cannot believe this was posted more than six years ago and has serious references to it after all these years...
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:47:00 PM »
Another two years have passed. What has worked, what has not?
ROBERT BRUCE