Oranjemund Online

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 1414 times)

Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
Browsers
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

WHich browser do you use. Why?

For years I was lazy and just used IE. Then three years ago I changed to Firefox. It is proving to be a little bit of a pain these days. TAkes so long to download. Have cleared off the add-ins etc but it makes no difference. AM considering a move to Chrome. Hell, even IE9 is better than FF at the moment.

ROBERT BRUCE

Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
Re: Browsers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

Have you upgraded to Firefox 5... ?
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"

Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »

Yessir and that is when it started to fall away.  Downloading is a pain. It isn't Norton or the add-ins causing the delay. Neither is it the broadband. So need to take a look at Chrome.
ROBERT BRUCE

Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »

Try Opera, works well for me....

Make sure you don't have a bug on your computer thats consuming all the bandwidth in the back ground.
When you not doing anything on the pc does the network activity stop... ?

Check your firewall to see if there are any unwanted processes running, maybe the bots have taken over your pc..  ill-3d

You could also burn Linux to a DVD and run it straight from there to see how a bug free environment performs.
Linux has the ability to run from a DVD... no need to install it to test it.
After using it just remove DVD and reboot your pc, all will be back as it was before.

IE9 does not run under Linux..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:20:57 AM by Mike Stenson »

Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

I've got Norton 360 running the firewall and other security plugins. Have trimmed the start-up executes and the Norton email scanner works well but I still get periodic high volume Mail undelivered scam mail. I'm in the middle of an' attack' at the moment. I can see that it eminates out of Russia as usual. Banning the IP's is pointless.

To this end to prevent account creation on my website and the forum, I use appropriate Wordpress plugins and have adapted my .htaccess to prevent a list of IPs from creating fake accounts to launch email attacks. Well maybe not so well as I thought ....;0)

Will address this later.
ROBERT BRUCE

henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »

HELP plse in connection with Adobe reader X
Using SA Revenue service online . operating system Windows 7 , Windows Internet explorer . When filling out tax forms , SARS advised me to get Acrobat reader 10 as well as JAVA  . And all of a sudden after using the PC for a few days with the Reader 10  , SARS advised me that they are unable to save my forms due to a security problem . I then looked into Acro under "edit " / preferences and checked internet setting to display Pdf browser option .
What happens now is frustrating , although SARS is happy to save doc.s , every time I open a Pdf file , the message [ Acro Rd 32.exe ] comes up and ask me if I will allow pdf to make changes to the HD . Is there perhaps a clash with my anti virus program ? Eset NOD 32 . I notice that the Adobe reader X sign on the desktop now has a security shield over the righthand bottom corner . 

Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

Sounds like a fire wall problem... check the permissions......