Oranjemund Online

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HOW OLD IS YOUR COMPUTER  (Read 970 times)

toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
HOW OLD IS YOUR COMPUTER
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »

HOW OLD IS YOUR COMPUTER

Why I ask!  all these new computers out on the market, plus iPads iPods iPhone and anything else starting with an i or abcdefg when the marketers get around to the newer and more expensive gear more RAM more Memory faster graphics. I have heard that the true gamers use Liquid Nitrogen to cool their computers there is a YouTube of the process plus other cool stuff no pun intended and at Xmas's I received a 1 Terabyte+4GB USB external hard drive, Margaret was happy for a few moments until she realised it was for the computer, but I digress from HOIYC  my toy is an old DELL had it for around seven years and its served me well. A Desk Top Computer is simply a tin box with a few electronic component's placed inside if you are inclined to do, you can buy all these parts at the specialty shop and build your own there are pit falls to this, pinched this below off the net.

The short answer to your question about whether building your own computer will save money is generally No. Off-the-shelf OEM builders buy trainloads of components directly from suppliers at prices you and I cannot touch.

What you get from building your own system is the satisfaction of owning and operating a machine you built yourself, as well as a greater understanding of your system and the knowledge you gain during assembly, construction, and operating system installation.

If you are a die-hard eBay aficionado, you can scour the web for great deals on components at prices that will begin to approach what you might pay for an off-the-shelf model; however the big caveat here is that you may have little knowledge of the quality of the parts or whether they will all work together in your new system. One of the advantages of buying an off-the-shelf system is that the manufacturer has already assumed the responsibility for ensuring that all the component piece parts are tested and confirmed to all work together, with all the correct drivers either already installed or supplied on a CD that comes with the system. Furthermore, when you buy an off-the-shelf system, the manufacturer also supplies you with a guarantee and warranty in the event you have a component failure within the warranty period. If you build one yourself, you have little or no such protection.

Having said all that, there is tremendous satisfaction from building your own system, and you can mix and match components precisely to what you desire. For example, many OEM systems use motherboards with integrated sound, video and Ethernet. You can even buy one of these motherboards yourself if that is what you choose, but let's say for the sake of argument that you want a Turtle Beach sound card, a 256Mb Radeon graphics card with analog, digital and TV out, a 3-Com Gigabit Ethernet LAN card, a Seagate 300Gb SATA hard drive, and a Plextor CD-RW/DVD-RW Dual-Layer optical drive. Finding all of these components in any single off-the-shelf system is highly unlikely and a DIY custom-build option is about your only recourse.

You might also consider what you intend to use this new computer for, whether you build it yourself or buy one off-the shelf. If your usual computer time is spent word processing, medium internet surfing, email and organizing the family photo album, you probably don't need a "killer" machine. Depending on the components you purchase and install, custom-built machines can sometimes be "twitchy", temperamental, and somewhat less-reliable than a good-quality off-the-shelf system.

Another factor for you to consider is what I call "time to liftoff". If you purchase an off-the-shelf system, you can usually be up and running, surfing the internet in less than an hour from the time you first open the box. On the other hand, should you choose to build a system yourself, you first have to choose, purchase and assemble all the components you want; then comes the fun part: putting it all together and making it work. This can take days or even weeks. Given what you describe as your limited familiarity with getting into the guts of a computer, the risk of error or potentially damaging one or more components is somewhat higher than for someone who does this all the time and has experience.

If you decide to build one yourself, I would highly recommend that you do extensive research on various hardware forums and blogs, both to help choose the right mix of components, and also to familiarize yourself with as many of the pitfalls, tips and pointers you can before you first pick up your screwdriver and plunge in.

A few years ago I fried the graphic card and their cooling fans panic!! wheres the bloody warranty card well it was out long past it's use by date so stripped the thing down took out the offending parts looked on eBay 'etc' until I was talking to my next door neighbour  (Robert he is 76years young) and told me about this guy that repaired computers he worked at the municipal waste dump now all these computers that expire land up in the dumps this guy strips them down and removes the parts that acutely work there is a shed he works from and it's an Aladdin's cave of parts and for a few $$$ he can have your beast up and working again. It did it again on Friday night this time it was the hard drive fan seized, mostly dust and fluff collected around the said parts (In the far right hand corner there was a family of immigrants well I do live very near the coast this part is a joke hope no one minds) its funny how all these break downs happen at the weekend. Well up early on Saturday morning off to see my friend at the dump! or I should  say Aladdin's cave and sure enough had the part cost $3 he even threw in a tube of CPU paste and as you can see by this post the beast is working again there is a big industry out there reclaiming Copper Silver Gold and other metals from scraped electronic devices had a quick look on the net and it was just a quick look in 2009 there was 300 tons of Gold used each year in the electronics Industry.

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.