Author Topic: Any Radio Control enthusiasts out there?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
  • "Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
Any Radio Control enthusiasts out there?
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
 are-you-there, It seems i'm the only RC aviator left , just checking if theres anyone who wants to join me?
"The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul."- Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Alfred Boehme

• Oranjemunder
  • 1966 and counting
Re: Any Radio Control enthusiasts out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Yes the RC Club was very active in it's heyday, I thought I was the last last person in O/Mund that still flew radio control planes anyhow after all the guys left it was not worth standing there alone so I sold all my stuff and haven't flown ever since just to mention a few active members

Charly Blakemore
Eric Lambridge
Craig Edmundson

Unfortunatly the premisis we had slightly north ao the mule derby has gone to runes

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
Alfie, Mwaala, is in the high school and is the only person still flying planes. One of his achievements is attaching a camera on the plane and actually flying it over the town recording footage. He also attaches parachutes to the plane, with a jumper being released... thinks he does most of his flying off the cricket field these days....

Mwaala's video can be found on youtube....

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Mike Stenson

• Oranjemunder
  • Still in Oranjemund
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:20:31 AM »
I remember Charley Blakemore and Brett ( Forget his surname ) doing the camera thing.
Think Brett was a SWA champion for some years and also did well down in SA.
"Computers are like air conditioning, Nether work when you open windows !"

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »
Men, if only people hadn't distroyed the little runway surface! now i'm left with bush flying!
"The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul."- Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Mikes right i have a few vids up on youtube aswell!

Offline Simon Mason

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »
Back when I was in OM. Here are a few names that come to mind.

My dad was one of the originals. Malcolm Mason
Aubrey Baker
Timothy Mason
Julian Baker
Ben Willson
Myself (when I could keep my plane out of the sand)

I remember my dad flying into Aurial Willson (Bens wife) and breaking or cracking a few of her ribs. oops
I can also recall me taking a friend along (Nicky Hodge) and my dad flying into his leg. We came to the conclusion that dad needed specs. lol

It took a few years before they got permission to have a flying field in OM. We used to have to drive for ages to get to a spot where we were allowed to fly. (cant remember where but it was at least a 40 minute drive).
We went out one fine Sunday morning, Set all the kit up only to discover that Aubrey had left his radio at home. No problem he jumped into his car and did the one and a half hour round trip to go and get it. Now thats commitment.

If memory serves correct. Malcolm and Aubrey were the founding members of the club. Dont quote me on that though.

I seem to recall Julian Baker bringing a friend back from Cape Town to help us get on our feet. Bear in mind that many an hour was spent building these airplanes and nobody had flown one before. Cant remember his surname but his first name was Jonathen.

Sad to see it all gone now.

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
Hi Guys, been busy with an RC drone for aerial footage purposes and i'm almost done with the plane, i already have a tiny camera for taking the footage but this camera only records in 480Pixels which is not good enough if you want exellent footage, i'm planning to buy the 808# 16 V2 camera with built on 120 degree lens wich steadies the video illiminating camera shake...unfortunantly these camera's only sell on ebay...so how do i go about buying it? pls

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Here's a few pictures of the drone! need to get this thing taking videos!

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:45:48 AM »
I'm intrigued. Where did you find that quote about aeroplanes from Sir Walter Raleigh, who died in 1618?
Bob Molloy

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »
Was going through one of the subjects for the private pilot "Air Law'' i found the Quote there, then i had to use it XD, i got the paypal issue almost sorted out but the Camera people don't ship it to Namibia so i have to find someone with a Post Box in Alexbay that i can use...

Offline Bob Molloy

• Bob Molloy
  • Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said. Is the private pilot air law on line. Do you have a link I can use?
Bob Molloy

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
I have the section in a file, im pretty sure the notes are online but they variat as every country or teritory has its own laws and regulations, there are even air laws on these model planes i built because when the leave the ground the become part of the traffic, mine can easly fly 2800ft above the ground...and beyound that if i increase the length of my aerial or reciever antenna XD

check this video out , Guy take his model to 4000ft!

R/C Plane At 4,000 Feet!!!!

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »
Mike S, it is Brett Jenkins that you are talking about and if I remember correctly, one of Brett's planes decided to do it's own thing and fly way out into the desert where it must have crash landed but after a few searches it was never found.
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a

Offline Mwaala Kalenga

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Poor guy, when those things loose radio signal the continue flying at their last power setting till the crash or run out of fuel...