Author Topic: Stone Tool Discovered on Oranjemund Beach  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Stone Tool Discovered on Oranjemund Beach
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
I'm new to this kind of thing, so if anyone in the know please feel free to comment.

About two weeks back I went for a walk along the sandbar at the Orange River mouth with my trusty and ever loving mutt, Shadow the Cat Slayer..... anyhow, as per normal, Whilst Shadow went seal hunting in the waters, my eyes were focused on the ancient sands, after walking these rich sands for the past 30 years, I was sure that I would eventually happen apon the unthinkable, proving the DeBeers Survey folk wrong, that diamonds could be found on the mouth still.... Alas, tis was not to happen, instead I found this odd shaped stone....

To me it looks like one of those ancient stone tools you always see the professors on the telly ranting about, it is heavy, definitely a stone, but with a slight metalic ring to it when tapping against it....

Anyone out there care to comment? For I know not what it might be...... maybe one of you really old timers like Mike V or Hennie K might recall seeing something like this when they were growing up, seeing that they must be as old as the stone.... 
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Uwe Leube

• Oranjemunder
Re: Stone Tool Discovered on Oranjemund Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »
Looks a bit too rounded and smooth to be a stone tool in my opinion. The ones I have seen and collected (Stellenbosch, Orange river, Australia) have the sharp edges from being formed to a useful shape. Any alternate thoughts out there?

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »
I must say, it does sound metallic and looks like something resembling a tool of sorts..........
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »
Looks a bit too rounded and smooth to be a stone tool in my opinion. The ones I have seen and collected (Stellenbosch, Orange river, Australia) have the sharp edges from being formed to a useful shape. Any alternate thoughts out there?

Hi Uwe, I posted the pics on a fossil forum, the pro's there also reckoned it was more than likely a just a funny shpaed stone.......

LINK: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/38320-how-do-i-know-if-this-is-a-stone-tool/#entry421808

Offline Pete

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Yes, Mike, it's a plain old rock - please stick to being a yeti as something you know about!  (Rumour tells me that we'll all be riding along to the beach in a new acquisition shortly?  Me and all my mates can't wait!). 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:49:49 PM by Michael Alexander »

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
Yes, Mike, it's a plain old rock - please stick to being a yeti as something you know about!  (Rumour tells me that we'll all be riding along to the beach in a new acquisition shortly?  Me and all my mates can't wait!).

Never knew that youhad any mates left in the town, as forthe stone, turns out it,s a bottle opener for cavemen, who would have thought...

Offline SandyB

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund 1956 - 1980 now in Woodstock Cape Town
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
A yeti  toothpick ??
To see  sometimes  requires that you  first believe .

Offline Adriaan Van Rooyen

• Oranjemunder
  • There's Only One Western Province!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
It seems to be the yeti"s long lost tentpeg,all the way from hohenfeldts,somehow got fossilised on the way....   
There's Only One Western Province!

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »
Mike , I do not want to stir things about yeti's or humans ,   but .. more seriously  - I have seen similar objects coming from archeological sites  , that had archeologists guessing . See David Atterbury ' s human sexes for a "possible" explanation
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:49:14 PM by henniek »

Offline Mike Thurtell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
I could offer a suggestion seeing that it is long, hard and rounded, but this is a family forum, so I won't.