Author Topic: Bertie Lubbe's Return Visit to Oranjemund - 30 years later!  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Bertie Lubbe's Return Visit to Oranjemund - 30 years later!
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
Bertie, Sorry for the delay in posting your awesome historical memories, it's been a hectic period since you left .

Towards the end of last year I got to meet ex Oranjemunder, Bertie Lubbe.

I had know about Bertie, as he had emailed me and expressed his intention to visit Oranjemund since leaving many decades ago.

So it was a great pleasure when this chap turned up at my office at Spar. He introduced me to his wife and nephew (If I remember correctly). The two had not been here before, this was Bertie's trip after all.

I was busy at that stage and we made a time to meet in the office the following day at 10H00. Bertie had mentioned that he had some photographs he wanted to show me.

10H00 the next morning, No Bertie, around 10h40, I bashed into his nephew who was also looking for Bertie, seemed he had gone walkabout, reliving old memories and time had escaped him.

Around 11h00, he was sitting at my desk..... he started to to talk..... names kept being written down on a scrap piece of paper, photographs flashing before me on the laptop..... a story to each one, more names...... Bertie's adventure in this corner of the Spergebiedt unfolded before me.....

We eventually lost track of time, the nephew returning around 14h00, only to be chased away....., stammering something about having to be in Luderitz by nightfall..... Bertie and I continued.....  1 Plant, 2 Plant,  Affenrucken......

Sometime after 16h00, the "better half" returned, wanting to know what on earth the two of us could still be talking about......

Bertie eventually left sometime between 17h30 and 18h00....

Bertie was one of the pioneers of the mine, One of those wayward cowboy types that mining folklore of the Sprrgebiedt talks about, having served his time at Affenrucken, One Plant , Two Plant and Recovery.....

He left me with a number of photographs and tales that I am going to attempt to post over the next couple of days!

As always, please feel free to comment....

The snaps are in no particular order and may not mean anything to you, but it might to another old timer!

Bertie, Thanks for the awesome marathon chat.....
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Bertie Lubbe's Return Visit to Oranjemund - 30 years later!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
Somewhere else on this forum, there is reference to the dog from Affies that caught hikes down to town on the weekends and then back again on Sunday.

It was interesting talking to Bertie, to see that there were actually a number of dogs up at Affies!

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
Bertie was lucky enough to have spent time living at Affenrucken back in 78 and then moved onto a number of the new plants the mine was building during this era.

Sadly, nothing remains of those big beasts of conglomerate plants at No.1 and No.2 .... I always told the powers that be a few years back, that something should stay behind for the tourists.....but as usual , nobody wants to take the initiative.....

Offline Malcolm Bertoni

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Good to see the old Affen pool with water in it.

There were a few dogs at Affen even a few cats.

The memories . . .

Mike, you'll have to give Bertie a free copy of my book, just a matter of courtesy being an ex-Affenruckener.

Malcolm

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »
Hi Malcolm, I gave Bertie a book...... in fact I hand the books out to any old deserving old timer....

It was great talking to Bertie, I just have'nt had time to post some more of his snaps, save to say there are a good couple from Affies!

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
Bertie, reckons that security was not very tight up at that end of the remote mine and the lads up at Affenrucken were mostly left to their own devices.....

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »
Thanks Michael for posting the pictures . Knew Bertie Lubbe well.  recently retired

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
Michael ,I think you are a very diplomatic person

Offline Ian Tonn

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
I knew Bertie at Affenrucken.  Good to see the photos once again.  Photo of "Chilling at the Affenrucken pool" was taken early on New Years Eve 1975 as we began our celebrations.  That me (Ian Tonn) on the left then Miles Johnson, Francois le Blonde, Richard van Reyneveld and Charlie Ritter.  The "Bonfire at Affenrucken" was taken later that night.  The following morning, New Years Day 1976,  despite being well hung over, we went to a place we called "The Valley of the Eagle" where the "Deep chill in the hills behind Affies" photo was taken.  Afterwards we returned to the pool where the photo of Charlie, Richard and Bertie was taken.  The gangly brown dog was named Tex.  We then went inside and started watching the latest movie backwards.  Piet de Wit came inside, sat down but didn't seem to notice it was backwards.  We constantly had to put up with Charlie and Richard going "Hap-hap-hap-happy New Year!".  We then had another braai that night.

Offline Ian Tonn

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:52 AM »
Just started digging out some old photos.  Unfortunately all photos have faded into a monochrome brown.  Here's one featuring Bertie Lubbe, Francois le Blonde and Richard van Reneveld at X-mas lunch 1975 at Affenrucken.

Offline Alfred Boehme

• Oranjemunder
  • 1966 and counting
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
Hi Guys
I had the privilege of going back to all these places now gone during my time at HT period +/- 1999 to 2014 took many photo's and always wondered, the photo of 2 plant control room brought back memories worked there end 1986 to beginning 1988 then called up for military serv

Must add my photo's here so you can get the ending picture

Some of my photo's are in Malcom's book

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »
go for it Alfie. I was waiting for the bus that never showed up. saw your Pics in Malcolms book . Great
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:49:48 PM by henniek »

Offline Ian Tonn

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
Our favourite spot at Affenrucken was "The Valley of the Eagle".  If you followed the gully between the single quarters and the mess you would find a tributary gully coming in from the right.  Follow it up and there would be a cliff face where hawks or falcons used to roost or nest.  The base of this cliff was covered in small bones and skulls.  I was photographing some skulls when Richard van Ryneveld's toes got into the picture.  We used to go there at night.  We had collected gemsbok horns from the desert and filled them with shellite and poked rags into the end and lit them and marched off to the valley.  We would poke the horns into the sand and then talk crap.  We discussed bear hunting in Canada and the tragic death of General Gordon in Khartoum at the hands of the Mahdi.  We also discussed what we would do if flying saucers landed and tried to abduct all the Affenruckers.  Strangely enough, one night, a large number of young people did go missing from the mine but aliens were not to blame.  It was the Army.  They sent them off to Angola to fight the Cubans.

Also have enclosed a photo of the notorious Affenrucken Poolside Chair.  It used to catch out the occasional inebriate and once a gangly brown dog.  I believe that is Bertie Lubbe's shirt on the chair.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:52:06 PM by Michael Alexander »

Offline Ian Tonn

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
Our favourite spot at Affenrucken was "The Valley of the Eagle".  If you followed the gully between the single quarters and the mess you would find a tributary gully coming in from the right.  Follow it up and there would be a cliff face where hawks or falcons used to roost or nest.  The base of this cliff was covered in small bones and skulls.  I was photographing some skulls when Richard van Ryneveld's toes got into the picture.  We used to go there at night.  We had collected gemsbok horns from the desert and filled them with shellite and poked rags into the end and lit them and marched off to the valley.  We would poke the horns into the sand and then talk crap.  We discussed bear hunting in Canada and the tragic death of General Gordon in Khartoum at the hands of the Mahdi.  We also discussed what we would do if flying saucers landed and tried to abduct all the Affenruckers.  Strangely enough, one night, a large number of young people did go missing from the mine but aliens were not to blame.  It was the Army.  They sent them off to Angola to fight the Cubans.

Also have enclosed a photo of the notorious Affenrucken Poolside Chair.  It used to catch out the occasional inebriate and once a gangly brown dog.  I believe that is Bertie Lubbe's shirt on the chair.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:53:53 PM by Michael Alexander »

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
Nice postings Ian, please post more...... Think you should speak to Malcolm Bertoni and get your memories written down...