Author Topic: So It begins ~ Wildlife getting Slaughtered?  (Read 899 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
So It begins ~ Wildlife getting Slaughtered?
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
We mentioned it on here years ago, that when our town opened, one of the main assets , the roaming wildlife would be threatened...

Well, we have not even opened our doors yet and I have been informed of a certain individual snaring Gemsboks/Springboks, cutting their necks and selling the meat locally from the back of his bakkie...

I heard that local conservation officials are aware of this, but seem reluctant to do anything about it.....

We had three things that made Oranjemund unique, that were going to make this town an attraction, that I mentioned years back, that nobody wanted to hear...

1) The Security
2) The Wildlife
3) The Cleanliness......

and....we are busy neglecting all three........

ThatStinks2
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline derek

• Oranjemunder
Re: So It begins ~ Wildlife getting Slaughtered?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »
That is sad and makes me angry even though it is forty years since I left town, The wildlife was always special and gave a different feel to the town, gemsbok in your garden at night, jackals chasing rabbits on the golf course, ostrich and snakes on the golf course, and big tortoises crossing the road on the way to Port Nolloth.
It will be difficult to stop the killing, you must remember what my grandfather taught me, "There is no cure for stupid ".

Derek

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
 :nono1:
That is so sad. Killing the Gemsbok would be like killing your neighbor in Oranjemund. Hope the culprit gets "helped" to move away and never return.
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »
Speaking to a reliable source in the industry, at a local game count, the herd that wanders the western side of the town, had their numbers drop from fifty odd down to 30 something.....

image21 

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Robert Bruce

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »
Question: what does the individual who spearheaded the move to opening up the town have to say now?
ROBERT BRUCE