Author Topic: cellphone software  (Read 254 times)

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
cellphone software
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
when using the bank application to verify I recently got this message from ABSA bank . type of phone Samsung Galaxy S193 . 2014 model . they say that I will not be able to use my phone after December 2018 . see attached picture
Please suggest what one can do  . I just can not afford toe buy new phones every so often   Test2013

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
Re: cellphone software
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »
I was told that the problem lies with Android . the version 4 can not be upgraded to the current  V6 now in use in the latest model cellphones

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »
Frustrating when your hardware cannot keep pace with current software and you are forced to buy new hardware....

My ipad is running on ios 8, about five years behind and a lot of apps I wish to install require the latest software..
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
Built in redundancy ? I guess . I believe the latest phones from Apple now operate on Androit 8 ..   

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
baby things

Offline henniek

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
sorry i managed to post it twice !

Offline linda-murrell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:35:34 AM »
Hennie.

Some phone manufacturers are better than others but typically they only provide updates to the next or next plus one Release of the phone's operating system once the phone has been superceded by a later model. They are not willing to spend the time and money that would be needed to test that the latest Release will work correctly with a phone they are no longer selling (and making money from).

Similarly, some app developers want to use all the latest features in new OS Releases but don't want the cost and effort involved in coding for and supporting older Releases. 

It sounds like you will have to access online banking through a browser if you want to keep your current phone.

Kevin...

Offline toonfandangl

• Oranjemunder
  • I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:59:22 PM »

when using the bank application to verify I recently got this message from ABSA bank . type of phone Samsung Galaxy S193 . 2014 model . they say that I will not be able to use my phone after December 2018 . see attached picture
Please suggest what one can do  . I just can not afford toe buy new phones every so often   Test2013

I quite understand the frustration with these bloody electronic devices. I have a draw full of them  iPhone iPad's iPod's amazon-kindle and now my
Lumix water proof camera is out of date, as the iPhone I use has better picture qualities, though the iPhone are no good underwater  image031. Also listen to 3MP Ebooks on my iPod that I borrow from the library and that's another tricky operation to down loaded through Itunes then plug in the iPod to the computer and then download it. Its all about how much money they will screw out of you.The keyboard i'm using (HP) is only 13 month old  (out of warranty) and I will have to replace it ANGRY!!!!!!  ThatStinks2

Freedom is the freedom to say two plus two makes four. If this is granted then all else follows".......George Orwell 1984........UTRINQUE PARATUS.