Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 383 times)

Offline Lizette

• Oranjemunder
Facebook
« on: March 24, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
 goodmorning
Does Oranjemund Online have  a Fb page? Couldn't find anything.

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
Hi Lizette, welcome to the forum, please feel free to share your Omund memories....

Facebook actually killed this forum off. Back in the day we were way more active but as FB became more popular folks drifted off....

There is a FB page for Oranjemunders, though not top sure of what it is called, just goto Facebook and type in Oranjemund...

Cheers
Mike
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Nada Ulbrich (Rall)

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:52:08 AM »
Even though FB has become more popular, this site is still amazing with all the information and history contained here. FB does not have a patch on what Mike had created at the time. you rock

So, in short, do yourself a favour and go through the information here as well.

The FB page is called EX-Oranjemunders get together.

Offline Lizette

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
Thank you Mike and thx for acceptance to the page. I tried to join Oreanemunders on fb looks like they are not accepting me.
I was born in Oranjemund in 1958 (Terblanche) my father was in security. He died in 1963 and my mother went to cape town with my sister and I.
My grandparents were the Lazarus family that had the drycleaners my grandfather worked as chef i think in the mes and apparently worked in the bakery and butchery if i have my facts straight.
We are starting to get our Namibia Ids and passports done.
I am just trying to establish whether south africans working in oranjemund at the time had any kind of SWA Id's.
I told my older family about your group and its taking them far back. My aunt Marsha Green has probably already registered to join your group so she can give much more info.

And thank you Nada, will definitely have look at the fb page.

Have a great day.

Offline Pete

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »
Mike Alexander - Not sure that Facebook "killed" this site off.  What "killed' this site off was the transition from a closed town to an open one.  It's happened so let's all suck it up.  We are both website administrators and know how frustrating it can be.  There are still lots of folk that drop into this site every day looking for news of their old home town and find...well...very little or nothing.   I would appeal to you to continue to play the invaluable role you played up until proclamation and bring joy into the lives of people who haven't been to Oranjemund for 10...15...20...30...40...50 years.  I can promise you one thing - social media is going to collapse or change shape completely and audiences are going to come back to sites they can trust - like this one.  Let's lead and nor follow!

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
Greetings & Salutations to you young Pete there under the Mountain.  BierSuip

I was criticized a few years back by a prominent person within the company, complaining that I only posted critical points aimed  towards them, I pointed out to him that this was not the case, I further pointed out or shared tales about the ins and outs of the entire town/mine . I raved about the company when they forked out 400 000 to put a new xray machine into the hospital

It is more a case of there just happens to be more negative topics to talk about than positives during this transitional phase.

I also became despondent, I covered all the reasons why things could go wrong with the transition of the town and what could save it, I spoke to individuals working with the process, yet the "Big Company" just thundered on, throwing obligatory funds in meaningless places, bringing in "experts" and tree huggers....

It dawned apon me two years ago that getting up every morning and stressing myself to the hilt about rows of dead tree's, dwindling numbers of wildlife and derelict buildings are not going change for the people running the show as they are not "Oranjemunders" and are just collecting a paycheck.

Hope sailed out the window.

When people like Kelly and Naftal opted to break the cord with the town they loved so well, I knew that we had all become disillusioned with the politicians and the company,the promises.....

I have a ton of stuff I wish to rant about, I have a ton of photographs from returnees like the Terry  Early and his boet Paul, .......... There is also topics I so badly want to scream about, but last year when I went on a verbal rampage, I realised that there are still people who hold sway and do not take kindly to being criticized, so for the time being, I will focus on my house, the business and getting my kids educated, no matter how many lawns, tree's or buildings fail....

For what it's worth, the tourism is picking up , the interest by old folk wanting to retire to a safe place (it still is even when the town opened) is the future...... I do believe this unique town will survive this, but will take at least another 10 - 15 years before stability is attained...

Anyhow, let me not rant further and just for old time sake upload a photo...

OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1975 - 1981 , Centaurus 1982 - 1984
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
Hi Mike,

Let me start off by saying  you rock

I am one of the guilty ones that don't visit this forum as much anymore as I used to a couple of years ago, and am truly devastated upon my visit today to discover what has been happening to Oranjemund lately. I fully understand your frustration in seeing such a beautiful town being left to slowly decay before your eyes.

For us ex-Oranjemunders living across the border in South Africa this type of situation is nothing new. We have been experiencing this non-stop decline in our once beautiful towns and cities ever since the birth of our so called "Rainbow Nation" back in '94. It just frustrates the crap out of me that the situation seems to be considered normal by the powers in charge. In the movie "Blood Diamond" Leonardo di Caprio tells a journalist: "TIA - This is Africa".

This small phrase has sunk in by me and often explains a lot of things when I see the decline of what was once a great country.

Offline Mike Thurtell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
RE SWA ID's: Lizette's query

Yes Lizette, there were SWA ID's. About postcard size with your photo. I still have mine somewhere.

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:44:08 PM »
Like Carl, I have also been a "lost child" lately. Simple reason I make use of FB is that I can reach everybody from my past in one klap. OPS, Springbok High School, student buddies from 4 universities, jobs, family, neighbors and friends  from all over the world.
Nothing  compares the "family" of Oranjemund though. My biggest wish was that I never left Oranjemund, but I had no choice since I was in school when my parents were transferred.
I will ALWAYS be grateful for the amazing work Mike, Michele and a few others put in building this site. Your are truly amazing and will always count under my most valued fellow humans... msn emoticon (18)
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Lizette

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »
Thank you Mike  Thurtell, appreciated.

Offline Pete

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
Hi Learned Yeti -

Anyone who knows you will understand how passionate you are about Oranjemund and how, for so many years, you have been a campaigner against ills that you have perceived.  It is very difficult for individuals to make an impact on communities for strength always lies in numbers.  I'm not sure what community forums exist anymore but, in years gone by, there were some very effective bodies of this nature.  I can remember being given a real hard time at some of these meetings, from issues relating to the Company's (at that time) retail outlets to housing, schools, accommodation and so on and so forth.  If the community really wants to make their voices heard, a well co-ordinated, fully representative, town association, free of political and union agendas, needs to be created so that meaningful engagements can be had with the Company.  There isn't anything unique about Oranjemund that is not experienced elsewhere.  In our community we consider our councillors to be pretty ineffective but it doesn't stop us from constantly hounding them in the hope that they'll consistently serve our interests.  Meanwhile, the community gets on with looking after the place itself, from clean ups of the parks and railway lines to removing graffiti from walls and painting curb stones, playground equipment and mowing lawns in public spaces.  If you wait for the "powers that be", you'll probably see your pension before you see any of them!

I believe that this forum can continue to see as a mirror to the outside world on developments and progress (or otherwise!) in Oranjemund. In the absence of an Oranjemund Newsletter, this forum is all we have access to.  I must just add, that we were pleasantly surprised at the state of the town when we returned on our most recent visit (apart from the fact that you ran off home after one cool drink!). 

Offline Carl Wrbka

• Oranjemunder
  • OPS 1975 - 1981 , Centaurus 1982 - 1984
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
Who is this Learned Yeti of whom we speak?   

Is it perhaps another Koos making an appearance... image19

By the way, who was Koos, or is it still a closely guarded secret on this forum?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:58:01 AM by Carl Wrbka »