Author Topic: Mine starts to offload Club Buildings!  (Read 740 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Mine starts to offload Club Buildings!
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
I was mortified to see that the mine has started to offload certain club buildings. Understandably places like the Yacht Club I can comprehend as they are no longer in use, but my word, to offload the Badminton Club is a gross mistake for a company that is claiming to have a social responsibility,

The Badminton Club is the one Club in the town that has experienced massive growth over the last eight years, especially amongst the youth from both schools in the town.

This club is utilised almost seven days a week and on some occasions in the week there are more than fifty kids training on the courts.

The club is currently on tour in Durban representing Namibia at the U15 SA Champs, in two short months, the same club will be on tour in Bloemfontein with at least two U13 Junior teams once again representing Namibia.

This club keeps the youth off the streets and gives them a sense of pride, a sense of purpose.

This club has produced South African champions over the last decade, The number one seeds for years all came from a town in the desert.

This club represents Namibia at the all Africa Championships year after year and afforded our children the opportunity to play in places like Mauritius, Zambia and Ivory Coast to name but a few.

This Club also consistently sends teams to the African Championships on a yearly basis.

Yet somebody has decided to shaft the only club in town  that actually needs more space without even bothering to enquire what is transpiring at the club.

Goodness me, My blood boils at how certain clubs are currently exempt from the process yet the premier and most active club gets the boot.

From a business perspective, I do understand that it will be easier for the Mine to offload the entire complex as one, but at what cost to the youth of this town....

I shake my head in utter disbelief........

notfair
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:59:59 AM by Michael Alexander »
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Re: Mine starts to offload Club Buildings!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
A few of the adverts from the mine for the Golf Club and yacht Club for those of you that are thinking of buying....

Ironically I was on a look and learn to Kleinzee last week and was amused to see their yacht club out in the desert, the jetty still floating out into space..... must say that their beaches are fantastic....

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »
Pete, You want to purchase the Little theater? It comes with a restaurant and bar.....   swink

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
Roll Up! Roll Up! One Riding Club next to the Orange River up for grabs....

Offline Mike Thurtell

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »
Eish!

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
Interesting. I was there a month ago, and they were nowhere near the point of selling. I cant see a final price for the riding club on that annexure attached either. Then after that, what would the municipal (OTC) costs be per month for water and services? Nobody had the answers for me when I was there.  Looks like it depends who you know, and I don't think Oranjemund wants new business. Unfortunately it's all planning and on paper, I don't see any real movement.
 ThatStinks2
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Mike Voden

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
What on earth is happening at Namdeb, wanting to sell off one of the most productive sports clubs namely the Badminton Club in Oranjemund. Do management realise the amount of work that the coaches and parents alike put into the club to keep the children occupied and off the streets. Another factor is that many of this club's younger members represent the Country of Namibia in their visits to South Africa and other African Countries and certainly achieve well in their commitments to the sport. How will this affect the children no one knows but I am sure that the effects will be detrimental to their well being. What about selling off some of the other clubs (rugby, football and cricket for example) or do management participate in these other clubs activities I wonder

Just my few cents worth
Oranjemund Nov 1981 - Nov 2008    image11a

Offline Charles Scheepers

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
And so the end comes...…. bye1 bye1
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. - Albert Einstein (1879–1955)

Offline Charles Scheepers

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Going down the drain like the rest of Namibia.  ThatStinks2
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. - Albert Einstein (1879–1955)

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
I do agree with both Mikes. I was amazed to se the growth and involvement of the badminton club. In the 70's it was mainly grown-ups who played, we kids played afterwards for fun. Cant remember a single badminton tour for school kids back then. My point.... It is obvious the badminton club has grown and got involved with giving the kids another option other than the regular activities. And look how well they did against teams from SA! It should be treasured. you rock
Oranjemund 1965-1982.

Offline Pete

• Oranjemunder
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
Pete, You want to purchase the Little theater? It comes with a restaurant and bar.....   swink

This will be a hard sell but let's hope that whoever buys it honours the history and preserves the theatre, in particular, for the means it was intended to serve.  Many, many, happy memories at the venue.  Watched my kids grow up on that stage and, of course, Brenda - and her team were stalwarts - produced some wonderful shows over the years.

Offline Patricia Lotte

• Oranjemunder
  • Oranjemund '74 - '85
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
This is heartbreaking. It’s the beginning of the end. What is happening to my little town???
OPS ('74-'79)
RGHS ('80-'84)