Author Topic: Two more local Gemsboks killed!  (Read 213 times)

Offline Michael Alexander

• Administrator
  • Oranjemunder
    • Oranjemund Online
Two more local Gemsboks killed!
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »
Tired of repeating myself, but had a nature conservation official in my office, heading off to two locations in the town to investigate the killing of yet two more of our treasured beasts.

The numbers of the two herds that wandered both the town and golf club has dropped dramatically and sadly the days of herds numbering more than ten are over.

On a side note, yes! I am bitter, these animals were MAJOR tourist attractions to the town and we forewarned the powers that be that this was going to happen,

I even heard someone mention that they saw a springbok being cut up at a local contracting camp.

I recall meeting German tourists in Oranjemund two years ago that were only here because the wife had seen images of the Gemsboks wandering around the town and wanted to visit such a unique place.

It saddens me greatly that the official policy of  the MET (Ministry of Environment and Tourism) is that the beasts that wander the town are not their responsibilty but the OTC (Oranjemund Town Councils) , seemingly only the animals that wander in the surrounding National Park are the responsibility of MET!

It should never have gone this way.......... this town of ours.........
OPS 1976-1982 : CBC 1982-1988

Offline Bertie Horak

• Oranjemunder
Re: Two more local Gemsboks killed!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
 ThatStinks2  Sad, bitter and angry. Hope the town's folk protect the remaining bokkies. They ARE Oranjemund.
Oranjemund 1965-1982.